Do you think that Obesiety is genetic or

that people are taught it cause of how their obese parents raise them?

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• There is, in the MINORITY of cases, a genetic link. Overall, it is LARGELY a learned behavior that leads to obesity.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 1:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It is in fact both.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• both. i believe some are genetically predisposed to obesity but is exacerbated by lifestyle.

rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Both.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think it is a bit of both, but less on the side of genetics.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Obesiety is not genetic. How your bones are build, muscles, etc is genetic. How much you weigh is not. However, genetics come from many different parts of your family. One child can get the genetics of their mother, whereas the second will get genetics from the paternal grandma. In one person created there are genetics from both maternal and paternal sides of the entire family. Meaning one child can be a bean pole and the other child built with a wider frame.

Obesiety is a choice. Not the choice as in "Hey, I'm going to start getting fat today", but in the choices that we make everyday. "I'm going to have four cupcakes for lunch" is a choice. "I'm going to eat until the pain of the breakup goes away" is a choice. How much we ultimately weigh is a choice. Yes, it's true that parents and environment can help guide someone into being unhealthy. However, it ultimately is up to the individual what they choose to eat.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The rate of your metabolism, muscle/bone structure and body type are all genetic. What you eat and how often you excersize are learned.

If you have a slower metabolism and low muscle building capasity, then you have to be more careful about what you eat and excersize. If you have a fast metabolish then you can get away with more. Slow metabolisms were a benefit when people had to hunt and gather and not eat for long periods of time.

If you are interested review some on the Pima Indians who have the highest incidence of diabetes. Largely do to their very efficient metabolisms they do not do well on an "American junk food diet" but are fine when they return to traditional Pima diet.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I do not believe it is genetic at all. If both children and parents ARE obese it is because they are living the same unhealthy lifestyle.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Both. We were never taught to eat right when we were kids, but I was a twig and my sister (who ate and did the same things I did) was heavy. Now as adults I try my damdest to eat right and she lives on coffee and junk, yet I'm the heavy one. Metabolisms are genetic, and you can't change that. On the other hand, if we teach our children to eat healthy they have a better chance of being a healthy weight regardless of their metabolism.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• There is a minority of medical exceptions, but most obesity is caused by eating too much of the wrong food and not enough exercise. I don't believe it is genetice because I have a lot of family members who are overweight, but I am not. Most of the overweight people I know eat fast food on a regular basis and don't get much exercise.
    potterpeaches

Answer by potterpeaches at 11:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010