Pet for a 2yr old

What is a good puppy for a 2yr old. nothing yappie or mean

konnorsmama

Asked by konnorsmama at 1:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pets

• I bet you can find your Little Man the Perfect Puppy at your Shelter! Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think its fine to get a 2 year old a puppy as long as your the one training it lol.. My daughter cant go anywhere in the house unless her Odie follows her lol. I would definintly go to a rescue to get the dog but I would for sure get a puppy so it can grow up with a toddler in the house and be used to them! We got a pit mix puppy (Odie) and he is the smartest, greatest dog ive ever had in my life!!
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It would really be your puppy since a 2 yr old can't take care of it. Do you have time to train and play with a new puppy? Maybe an older rescue dog would be good. One that a family didn't want anymore. I know Goldens and labs are great with kids. My family had both.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think 2 is way too young for a dog. I think children should be at least 5.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• honestly, 2 is too young for a new puppy IMO, they don't know how to handle them
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We have a Cockerpoo and my Gr-DD 1 yr old loves her, and Visa Versa. She is great w/dogs and people. I would suggest when you go to get a puppy, you take your child with you. See how they both interact with each other. Too shy is not a really good dog, they shd come over and be a little friendly. That's what we did , and ours came & sat in my lap 3 diff times. Good luck, I'm sure any dog will love a loving family, and a child to play with., esp if they are use to each other. Pick a good one, good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Just remember that it's not really going to be your 2 year old's puppy.. It will be yours. You feed, you water, you clean up after it, you clean it, you pay the vet bills, you exercise it, you socialize it, you play with it, you train it. If you think you have the time for all of that, then by all means, go to the shelter and get a dog. (and remember, a puppy needs three times as much of ALL of the above that I listed then an adult dog does) And please take into consideration that most kids' first words are dog or puppy.. and once you get the dog/puppy the newness will wear off within a couple of weeks and it won't be so "great" anymore. I do say not to get a really small dog.. Little kids have a tendency to pick up and drop animals, and many small dogs (and cats) have been hurt because of this. Good luck in your search.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 4:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I understand that a 2yr old is to young to take care of a dog but i know he wants one b.c all he says in puppy puppy puppy and my mother just bought one and he tried to carry it home with him and cried when he had to leave w.o it. His birthday is coming up  so...my question is what kind but not a old dog that may die in a few months. that would be hard to explain to him.

konnorsmama

Comment by konnorsmama (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Research which dogs are calm. Our puppy is small, but extremely wild and crazy with my 4 year old. He knocks him down every day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• angryOK PEOPLE IM NOT DUMB I KNOW HE CANT REALLY TAKE CARE OF A PUPPY. IT WILL BE ME. HOW DUMB DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO NOT KNOW THAT. HELLO!!!! I WOUDNT EVEN BE THINKING ABOUT IT IF I DIDNT KNOW WHAT ALL I HAVE TO DO.

konnorsmama

Comment by konnorsmama (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010