How long after your water broke did you want to start pushing when having the baby?

My SIL didn't get to push until 7 hours later, because the doctor wouldn't let her, the baby had lots of fluid in it lungs when it was born and when i had my son, the doctor broke my water, and 10 minutes later i pushed and had him about 45 mins. later, so is that what should have been done?

momacowgirl

Asked by momacowgirl at 11:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It depends on how dilated you are. My water was broken by my OB when I was only 2 cm dilated because I was being induced. I didn't start pushing for another 5 hours and it took me an hour to push him out since he was sunny side up.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Everyone is different...my water broke at about 6:30pm & then I started pushing around midnight. He was born at 12:55am. I agree that it totally depends on how dilated you are. Your doctor had to break your water, so you were probably dilating & your water just hadn't broken yet. Once he broke your water it was like pushing you into high gear, you know? Whereas your SIL probably had to wait until her cervix was ready to deliver.
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It depends. I was induced. My Dr broke my water at 8:30am and I was dilated to 3-4cm. I didn't start pushing until 6:30pm.

natalieg

Answer by natalieg at 1:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Depends on dilation. I think my water broke, and then I pushed 5 hours later. My cervix swelled up, so I had to "rest" for about two hours.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It really depends on your vittles, and the heart rate of the baby. As to what is the right time, And some times even after My son was born the valve to his heart didn't close and his lungs kept making fluid instead of oxygen, He spent 13 days in ICU. but is now 16yrs old,and doing fine. Im sure everything will be ok.....Bless the child......
    sumbeach

Answer by sumbeach at 2:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• the baby is fine but thanks to all your answers your right...
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 3:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My water broke early Saturday morning, and I didn't have him until Sunday night. But my water broke before I had contractions.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It depends. My first, my water was broken maybe 12 hours. My second my water was broken for 7. My fifth, it never broke until he was out.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2008