Has anyone tried line drying their clothes during the cold months of the year?

I live in Michigan and I have some neighbors who hang their clothes out all year around. It doesn't make any sense to me. I wouldn't think they would dry when it is that cold outside!

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• They will freeze dry. I have lines in the basement and hang some things there. I don't yet have an outside clothes line but would really like to have one.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't see how that would work..I live in Wisconsin..
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 1:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I used to hang my clothes outside year round when I was young and couldn't afford a dryer. I love the fresh smell of clothes fresh from the clothes line. They actually do dry in the winter. Especially on a breezy day. They just take a little longer. And, they smell SOOOOO clean & fresh!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Just wanted to add that I was living in MN at th time I was hanging clothes on the line. Worked just fine for me.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I had this exact same question! I live in Wisconsin and do not have a dryer so this winter all my clothes will be drying out on the line. I was wondering if it would actually work...I guess I'll find out soon!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 1:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'm in Iowa, and my neighbor hangs her laundry every day unless it's raining or there's enough snow on the ground that her stuff wil touch it - I've never asked her what the deal is, but DH said something about the stuff freeze-drying...? I do know that year-round she does throw everything in the dryer for like 5 minutes after hanging to soften it up...I'm not a laundry hanger myself!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010