Phimosis- Doc said my 1 month old baby may need to be cirumcised.

When my son was born I noticed that his skin wouldnt go back and i asked the doctor at the hospital to show me how to clean him bc i wasnt sure i was doing it right. the doc pulled his skin back very slightly and nothing was even exposed and he told me thats it, and he said it will come out more when he gets a little older. Yesterday he had his 1 month check up with a diferent doc and she suggested I have the skin removed.

Has anybody else had a son thats forskin was tight as a baby but gradually loosens up. Also is this a normal thing for baby boys or are most of them born with the their skin fully retractable? Thank you for you input ladies. I really dont want to circumcise him unless i really have to.

JanetElizabeth

Asked by JanetElizabeth at 1:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have a son but I've read up on circumcision. A lot of doctors in America recommend it because it's "the norm" but I've heard that phimosis usually can be fixed. Look up all your options, get second and third opinions, don't circumcise your son just because one doctor thinks you should!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You aren't supposed to pull the skin back. It is not going to be retractable until the are older, much older. Just wash it like you would a finger. DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT BACK.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The foreskin is SUPPOSED to be attached!!! DO NOT try to pull back the foreskin! To clean it just wipe it off like you would a finger. You MUST read this article Protect Your Uncircumcised Son: Expert Medical Advice for Parents

There is a section on phimosis.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• In the neonatal period, it is rare for the foreskin to be retractable; Huntley et al. state that "non-retractability can be considered normal for males up to and including adolescence."Rickwood, as well as other authors, has suggested that true phimosis is over-diagnosed due to failure to distinguish between normal developmental non-retractability and a pathological condition (a condition deemed a problem). Some authors use the terms "physiologic" and "pathologic" to distinguish between these types of phimosis; others use the term "non-retractile foreskin" to distinguish this developmental condition from (pathologic) phimosis.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• True phimosis can't really be diagnosed this young. Everything you've mentioned sounds normal to me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• thank you everyone. I been researching and have been finding the same things that you are telling me. I am feeling more confident that my son will be okay ;)
    JanetElizabeth

Comment by JanetElizabeth (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yeah..he will be fine. The doc just might not have ANY experience with uncircumcised baby penis. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You might want to educate you doctor while you are at it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• maybe i should. I have been researching so much that i could probably tell her m ore than she was taught. :)
    JanetElizabeth

Comment by JanetElizabeth (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010