Can someone tell me that all this 'tea party' stuff is about?

Due to recenly having a baby and the demands of a young toddler I haven't had much chance to watch the news or read a newspaper for awhile. I feel like an idiot for having to ask but I keep seeing this phrase and want to know what is going on! Can someone please explain it to me? Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The tea party is a group of Americans that are protesting against what is going on in this country. here is their mission statement "The American Tea Party is here to reaffirm the traditions and principles upon which the nation was founded, including a free market approach to economic vitality and prosperity, self determination and self reliance, personal responsibility and accountability and a prudent approach to governance and the common good."
    They are a conservitive group that generally focuses on small government. They have been attacked by the liberal media. The nickname that is generally used is teabaggers. They are called racist, and violent, and that they are trying to start a revolution against our government.
    In reality though they are a hugely diverse group of people from many different backgrounds that want government to be what it once was, and have never had a protest turn violent.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 1:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• teaparty

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Tea Party Patriots - Official Home of the American Tea Party MovementA community committed to standing together, shoulder to shoulder, to protect our country and the Constitution upon which we were founded!
    teapartypatriots.ning.com/
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• – collapse
    Tea party'ers are about hatred, bigotry and ignorance as far as I see on the news and in the media. Led by the biggest idiot of all, Sara Palin
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Tea party'ers are about hatred, bigotry and ignorance as far as I see---

opinion..that's all it is.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, you invite your favorite "friends" (stuffed animals, dollies, etc), sit around a little table in little chairs, and serve tea (real or pretend) in dainty cups and tea-pots. If it's a really fun/fancy party you might also serve (real or pretend) sandwiches, cookies, etc. Don't forget to be on your best behavior and exaggerate your good manners.

p.s. Tiaras, crowns and fancy princess dresses are optional, but highly encouraged!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• teaLOL, coder!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Tea party'ers are about hatred, bigotry and ignorance as far as I see on the news and in the media. Led by the biggest idiot of all, Sara Palin

Maybe you should look into what they really are rather then just going by what people tell you. Have you looked at what their rallies have really been about? I dont really get what all the bad media is about, but look at the difference between a tea party, and one of the liberal rallies, tea party has never gone violent, most (of course unfortunatly not all) have only held peacful signs. They are not crazies, they are not idiots, they are normal people who are sick of the government BS, and have woken up to stand against it. And Sarah Palin is not the leader, she is a supportor, but not a leader. So basically every part of what you said is not true
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 3:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• TEA= Taxed Enough Already.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The only people who say the ... Tea party'ers are about hatred, bigotry and ignorance...are the far left fringe of the liberal side. We, the Tea Party crowd, are no more haters, bigots, or ignorant than the main stream liberal. If any of the far left liberals would just stop for 2 minutes and listen to a discussion, then they would see they are wrong. You know, I take that back. If they saw a Tea Party conservative stick a needle in his/her arm and give a transfusion to another person, say an African-American gay man,  to give a transfusion in the field to save his life, we would still be bigots, racists and ignorant. There is no way to win this discussion with the far, far left.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010