How do I stop stressing over not being able to get new clothes for school for my special needs daughter

Hello I have a 17 year old special needs teenager not school starts Tuesday but here I go once again stressing no wonder my stomach hurts anyways she has things to wear old and she has a few new tops when it gets much cooler she will have a few outfits she got from her birthday but it is still warm and she has some capris not many jeans which she badly needs.

My circumstances will not let me buy or shop online her income is all we have coming in so how do I stop this I have a small cyst on my ovary and I notice when I get worried or stressed my stomach starts HELP and no bashing please

blessed2877

Asked by blessed2877 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• What does "special needs" have to do with concern over getting school clothes for your daughter?

And really? as long as she has clothes to wear, she'll be fine. Education isn't a fashion show, it's about learning - about developing mastery of skills.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well said, gaccck!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You could go to the thrift store, they have good clothes for very little money. You can get a few pairs of jeans, a sweat or two, and still live within your means.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My children didn't get new clothes for the start of school. We purchase clothes when we can afford them, when they grow out of them, or when they need replacing. My son got new shoes for school since his old sneakers were too small and falling apart, same for my daughter....she NEEDED them - holes in the old ones. Nothing to do with the beginning of school other than my son can't wear his summer flip flops to school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I am sure if you get out and look/ask around there are some organizations that can assist you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I am willing to bet you are on the only one stressing over this. In a few years, when you ask her what her childhood was like, this won't be on the list - things that really, really mattered, how you were there for her, supported her, tucked her, showed her how to bake cupcakes, etc. etc. etc. You get the point. We all want the very best for a children and sometimes, just loving them is so much more important than the material things. Give yourself a break Mom!!!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter has a couple of new tops and that's it. As the weather changes here in Michigan she will get more clothing but then again she can still wear a lot of what she has. I don't see the sense in buying new clothes just because school starts. I know they want something new to show off, but by now they already have their friends at school, so why should it matter as much. When I asked my daughter if her current clothes were too small, she said no. And then I put it to her just like that and she didn't know what to say! It doesn't help her case when I grew up doing my clothing shopping for the start of school at garage sales. My son just doesn't care but then again he is a boy!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Dont stree out go to thrift stores, or I know where Im from the salvation army will let you get free clothes. You just need to fill out a form and have ur id and ss#
    sherryv07

Answer by sherryv07 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Have you tried Goodwill?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010