Anyone know how to get rid of the smell of rotten potatoes?

I had a bag of potatoes sitting on top of my microwave and one rotted. It's been two weeks. In that time I have scrubbed once with kitchen disinfectant, twice with bleach, once with oxyclean, and my husband has scrubbed it at least twice with who-knows-what. It STILL smells like a combination of my grandmother's BO, rotten-teeth breath, and rotten onions. What the heck do I need to do??? Man, they should use rotten potatoes in bio warfare!!!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 1:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• OH rotten potatoes are the worst. Bake some chocolate chip cookies. I'd retire that MW to the garage for awhile.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Try putting a dish of baking soda out. It should absorb some of the smell. Are you sure none fell behind the microwave?
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 1:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Try putting a lump of coal behind the microwave and put some coffee beans or ground coffee in an open container on top.It gets rid of the smell.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 2:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yeah, I totally moved my microwave to a different room. The only thing that stinks is the top of the microwave where the rotten stuff was.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Vinegar and baking soda.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010