My 7 year old son wants to give up karate and soccer

Do you think he may be nervous in anticipation of starting 2nd grade? Should a 7 year old have a class of some kind on the weekends? Has anyone else had this happen?

mkarpel

Asked by mkarpel at 1:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• With my son, no, he's been doing martial arts since he was 7 1/2, he's now 15. With our daughter..she takes a break from it now and then. It could be he's excited about 2nd grade, it could be he's just tired of it or perhaps doing both sports is getting to be a bit much for him. Have you asked him why he wants to quit? Does he prefer one sport over the other? I'd talk to him about it and then let him "take a break" for awhile. He may want to go back to them after a couple of weeks or so or he may, after having a bit of a break, decide he wants to do one sport but not the other. I, personally, don't believe in making a child take part in a sport of any kind if he/she doesn't want to. A sport activity should be because they want to do it and enjoy it. Kid's will often think they want to do a sport and then after awhile, they discover, it's just not for them. They really don't like or enjoy it. Making them continue, (cont)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Let him give up one. He may be overwhelmed.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think he should have at least one activity out of school so he's not home all the time. Plus, sports keep children active and healthy! You can have him choose another sport. Tell him he has to do a sport but give him the right to choose.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 2:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• IMO, I don't make my kids do any extra activities. But if they want to and start one then you will finish out the season. Is he in the middle of the season or is he just not wanting to start them again?

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• to finish the season, or finish what they started, could also make them hate the sport and could discourage them from trying other sports. Why, for instance, would they want to try another sport, if they knew that even if it turned out they didnt' like it, they'd HAVE to continue doing it. Sports, for my kids, have always been their choice since they're the ones that have to do the activity.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010