Ugh... ranty ventish kind of question...

We just moved into our first house, and the former owner is my husband's stepbrother, who I work for part time, and my husbands sister.

So BIL got deployed one state down in the middle of his move, but gets to come home on weekends.

Instead of completing his move, he's been doing what he normally pays me to do when he's deployed, collect rent, etc, and the basement and the garage, and the shed are still full of their crap.

I'm trying to get settled, and they just left a bunch of stuff everywhere I don't even know what to do with!
what would you do?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Now Lovin,...didnt I say it would take three years to unpack...LOL... but seriously, just tell them that it is your house now and they need to get the stuff out. Give them a deadline.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• So you guys BOUGHT the house, you said "former owner" so I'm assuming that means you now OWN the house. I'd say call them, give them one more chance, let them set up a time/day that is good for them. Tell them that if they don't come get their crap when they say they will you will put it all out on the curb with a big "FREE" sign and the trash service will get whatever is left over.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would tell them as your new landlord that they need to have the place cleaned by a certain time. Yes, he was deployed, but he is also renting the home to you and has respoisibility now as your landlord.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• put it in a storage unit?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• garbage? If you have the time and want to sort, now might be a good time to clean it out.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I like the deadline idea. In the meantime, can you move all of their stuff to one location outside the house? If you can, you may be without a garage, but at least their stuff isn't in your living space. Oh, and if I were you, I'd let them know I'd moved everything out of the house. That may make them move their butts faster.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would tell them that it needs to be moved by a certain time. If not then....move it over to their house yourselves and charge them a moving fee. That was rude of them and taking advantage of you guys to not have it cleaned out by the time you moved in. If it were anyone else you would not be expected to deal with this and they would not epect a stanger to deal with it.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 5:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010