Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? about FAFSA

I filled out a fafsa form a few months ago. We made too much money so i got denied any aid. My dh and I are now seperated and going to divorce. When can I refile with a change of family status? My fall tuition is taken care of but I am enrolled for the spring. My employer has tuition reimbursement, but I have to pay upfront and being that I have lost his income will be difficult. I don't want them to think i'm lying on my 2nd application to get money. anyone gone thru this? it's sunday and customer service isn't available for them today.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • You can apply right now for fafsa for the spring. If there is any question from them as far as if you are lying or not, I guess they might ask for a divorce certificate or something like that but I don't thing they look that far into it. If you are filling them out online, you might need to go change your marital status in the profile or account area. It's been a few years since I've applied and cant remember the worksheet but do reapply this week. I don't think it should keep you from getting aid for spring. You could call them first thing in the morning if your really concerned.

    Answer by RachT at 11:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • Go to your office and edit it as soon as possible. Let them know what's going on. Bring your seperation papers.

    Answer by raybell at 11:56 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • You will need the divorce papers/seperation papers for sure. Talk to your fin. aid office on Monday and let them know the situation to see if they can help you out sooner.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.