Preschool?

Okay so I haven't started looking at preschools and my twins will be 3 in less than 2 weeks. I have no idea what to look for or even what to ask or how to pay for it or if my children are even ready. Academically I think they are a bit behind and I blame myself for that. Ladies please help me with some of the first steps.

DoubleTheBundle

Asked by DoubleTheBundle at 2:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My twins are 3 and a half :-) Anyways start by looking at your local public school districts website. Some states/districts have State funded Pre-k which occurs at local elementary schools for 4 year olds and is free like any public education. Where we are from in FL it is Free Voluntary Pre-k at age 4 and its half a day at elem. schools. Here in Cali. there are a few schools with these programs but they are income restricted - basically you gotta be poor enough. Start there. You kids do not HAVE to go to pre-school, its good to get them prepared for kindergarten and all that and standards are rising as well, meaning that kids have to be able to do more in Kindergarten than we did.

My girls will go to pre-k next year at 4 IF it is free, there is no way we could afford it for 2 at the same time. I will do some homeschooling type stuff at home with them if they dont do prek
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• At 3 there is no "behind academically". They're learning about the world through play, you don't need to actually sit down and teach them anything.

Check greatschools.net to look at local preschools. You might find a co-op that charges less, but requires more parent involvement. If it's just out of your price range... no biggie, they won't miss out on much. You can work with them once they are old enough on basic stuff and just go to a local playgroup for social stuff. My son just started Prek yesterday and he'll be 5 in January.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son never went to preschool. We didn't have any near us that we could afford at the time. I know a lot of friends who do a "mothers day out" type of preschool that is a lot cheaper than others, maybe look around at local churches to see what they have available!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Maybe start them in a local daycare that also offers pre-school? Or check your local daycares and see where the pre-schools are. Go by and meet the teachers, let your kids meet the teachers and see how they feel about the place and the people. Ask what they will be doing, what is expected of them, etc.

Pre school is free, so that's one less stress on you. :) But some places do a "lottery" system where they draw names to see who is acepted and who isn't. I refused to go that route because I didn't want to get my child amped up for school and her not get in.

I checked into multiple places and found one that works with her on writing, reading and so forth even though they technically aren't supposed to in the state of georgia (which I think is stupid because they start spelling tests in the first month of kindergarden). That is where my children went for daycare and now my oldest goes for pre-k. :)

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'm sorry, I meant to say preschool is free here in georgia and most states have free pre-k programs.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'd look online and see if there are any reviews.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• wow thank you ladies all of this is extremely helpful I suppose I should add that I am in minnesota so if there are any monnesota mommys that know about what our state offers that could be helpful also. I will be looking into some of your ideas and see what our school district offers.
    DoubleTheBundle

Comment by DoubleTheBundle (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You should look into private preschool. We pay 155/month for it. It is very nice, curriculm is so much more advanced than public preschool. I found a great one for my son and he loves it!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010