How do I keep a dog bite clean and free of infection?

Our dog bit our son last night. Our boy was wrestling with his uncle and lost his balance, falling on the dog. The dog reacted quickly and bit him promptly, right on his left cheek. There are 3 visible punctures of skin, but only one is deep enough to be concerned about. None require stitches. My question is how do I keep them clean while they are healing? We immediately cleaned them with h2o2 and put neosporin and bandages on them. But now I need to know... does he need to be checked out by a doctor ( for any shots,antibiotics,etc) to protect him from anything the dog might have? Or just keep doing what we're doing (h202, neosporin, bandages)? Sorry its so long...

kadens_momma_15

Asked by kadens_momma_15 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Keeping it clean and monitoring it should be enough. I would apply vitamin E oil, though, to help prevent a scar forming on the face.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• as long as the dog is current on his shots what you are doing should be fine. If the dog isn't current on his shots then you need to take your son to the Dr.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• He should absolutely be checked by a doctor. My friend had a small bite from a dog a couple weeks ago and it got infected in the blink of an eye and she had to go to the dr and get antibiotics and a tetanus shot.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would definitely contact a Doctor without any hesitation. Bites are nothing to mess with.
    chiwithme

Answer by chiwithme at 2:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• keep it clean and watch for signs of infection at this point..

I would also get rid of the dog.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would keep it clean out, use Neosporin and watch closely for signs of infection. Good Luck to you!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The dog is staying. He's a good dog, he was sleeping and my son fell on him. Bit thanks everyone. Doctor appointment on Monday.
    kadens_momma_15

Comment by kadens_momma_15 (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sounds like you're doing it right.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Soap and hot water- H2O2 is a thing of the past. Neosporin and covered at night and open during the day-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2010