Overkill or Appropriate?

This is the last time I ever want to do this. I'm a 27 year old mother of a one-year old. Currently, I stay at home with my child. My mother lives 2 hours away from me and asked me if I could babysit my 10-year old brother for the week while she goes to school. See, she started up school a couple weeks ago and my brother does not begin school until next week, which created a problem. The regular childcare option she utilizes was only able to watch him last week and unable to do so this week since they are closed for the week. That is where I came in. She has class for 5 hours for four days out of the week and for a couple hours on the 5th day. Unfortunately, instead of finding a different childcare resource that is actually in the area, she asks me and I'm two hours away. It just seems like overkill to me. He only needs to be watched for about 5 hours for 4 days of the week and I get him for the whole week.

elena_rae

Asked by elena_rae at 2:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Just a suggestion. Why don;t you have him come and stay with you for the week??
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Tell her, sorry Mom hes my brother NOT my child. FIND a new daycare for him please, I have a life and baby of my own to care for.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Wait, are you telling me that your mom is dropping off your 10 year old brother for the entire WEEK? That's not babysitting... that's summer camp. How are gonna keep this kid entertained when you have a little one... That's crazy...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's an inconvenience to us here and I wish that my mother did not have the mentality that I do nothing since I currently stay at home. Quite the opposite. Am I the only one that thinks that she should have other childcare resources in her area and not call on me every time he needs to be watched when she's unable to?
    elena_rae

Comment by elena_rae (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, maybe she figured it would be nice for him to spend some time with you before school starts?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would tell her you can't do it if it is too much of an inconvenience. If it isn't then just have him stay the week with you and go home next weekend.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• He is 10 years old. Can your Mom ask any of his friends Mom's if he can come hang out while she's in school?
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's only for a week. I'm sorry but why is it such a huge issue? He's your brother and your mom is going to school - not out partying.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My BIL used to come stay with us for 2 weeks each summer due to day care issues. We live in Nebraska and they live in NY. My daughter was little at the time. We always enjoyed having him with us and looked forward to his visit.
    jenn1172

Answer by jenn1172 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Hey Orionsgirl. It's such a huge issue because I do not want to do it, but feel obligated to. I'm under the mindset that he is my brother, not my child and I do not want to be relied upon to watch him whenever the need arises. She needs to find multiple resources IN HER AREA. I have a kid of my own to look after and quite frankly that's good enough for me.
    elena_rae

Comment by elena_rae (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010