Internet access or being able to buy necessities for your kids?

Now I know internet access can cost as low as $10 per month for dial up but when I hear some people posting here saying "I can't afford clothes/food etc. for my kids, what am I going to do?", It always pops into my mind "But you have internet access??? & pay for it". Which is not neccesarily a neccesity. Am I wrong?? Believe me, I am not skipping the economic light fandango and we cut corners where we can but there are priorities and internet is not one at the expense of our needs. I feel bad a lot for some people but could they do away with the internet & if they NEED it for school just go to the library for free??

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 2:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in

• I am in nursing school so it's a necessity for me, sometimes I have online classes, and my instructors communicate by email so I need to be able to check it daily so for me it would be more expensive to drive to town to either go to school or the library to check it than to pay for it and have it at home. However, I would make do if I was really that bad off. I've thought the same thing.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 3:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I always go with Needs before Wants.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• if it came down to it.. i'd make sure my kids have what they need over the internet!!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Maybe they ARE at the library?

But for those that aren't I agree that they should give up material things to provide necessities.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have it...although, I am using it at work, they may be at the library or have free wifi through where they live. I needed it for my son and his school. The library is open when I am at work, so there is no way we can get him there. I only got it at my house in march though. I do manage to buy the necessities.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Some people need it for work or school. There are many reasons why it could be a necessity. However, if it were me, and it wasn't a necessity, and I needed the money for my child...I'd cancel the internet access in a second. My child will always come first.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The first thing that popped into my mind is the same thing Memigen said. They could be at the LIBRARY. Or in my case, when I was still with my ex husband, he had to have internet for work and school. There was no way around it. He'd get a call at 3am from work that required internet access. No library is open then. No internet to do the job at home, no job, which equals no money at all. Some apartments include wifi in a community center, as does most starbucks, etc. So think about other possibilities before jumping down someones throat because they are USING the internet..
    BrookyHBK_Y2J

Answer by BrookyHBK_Y2J at 2:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't jump down anyone throat. Thank you for your response.
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• anyone= anyones (sp)
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree with Brooky, there are times when people may have to have it for work and there may not be free wifi around, etc.

That would stink. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010