What age were your kid's able to swallow a pill?

my 12 year hasn't learned...MD said to practice with tic tacs....any other ideas?

surfcitymom

Asked by surfcitymom at 3:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Health

• I got my DS to swallow around 5 by practicing with M&M's. We started with minis and then went to regular size. He did just fine knowing they were a candy that he liked. I also had him put one in his mouth and see how they'll melt, so he wasn't so afraid that it would get stuck in his throat. The other thing thing I did was to keep pudding around when ever he took meds at first, because if he felt the pill was "stuck" one big mouthfull would push anything down.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 4:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son was around 8, but he was taking one every day and had to learn. Just put the pill in pudding or applesauce and have him swallow that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• LOL..he was 4. And he only did it because he hated liquid more than he was scared to swallow a pill.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My 3yo can, and has since he was 2.5. Don't remember how old my girls were, I think they were all able to by the time they were 5, maybe 6.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 4:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010