I will be at school all day, will she talk like them???

I am going to be going back to school next week and I am worried about my daughter's speech. Her father and I are very articulate but the people we live with who will watch her and the kids they have come over to play are NOT. They say things like "What her doing?" and "We dont have none." Will my daughter start speaking that way!? She seems like such a little sponge!

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• She might. Just keep modeling the language you want her to use.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• pretty much everyone starts speaking like that. you just need to repeat what she MEANT to say, with the correct grammar. you can't keep her sheltered forever.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• "What her doing?" really? That was painful just to read! If she does, correct her. Not sure what else you can do.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• All kids are sponges. When you hear her say something incorrect. Just say it to her the right way. But don't make her feel bad about it. This is one thing I learned from my DD speech therapist. As long as they hear you say it the right way. They will start to correct themselves.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If she is around them more then you , probably.

Answer by louise2 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• She may pick up some of it, but she'll still have your influence too. It's not the most ideal situation, but if the people are loving and you trust them that is more important than their grammar.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Probably, yes ... children model what they are exposed to
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Eeeek! I'd be concerned about that too. Best solution I can think of? First poster's response.
    elena_rae

Answer by elena_rae at 3:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How old are the kids? Some speech stuff is normal for preschoolers as they are still learning the right way to say things. My 4 y/o always says what when he should say that, for example. And yes, she will absorb everything. I watch a little girl and she calls me "leanne"... now my 17 mo old has started calling me "eee-ann". I correct them both (auntie and mama, respectively)... but they just absorb everything.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If you live with them, it would probably happen anyway, though.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010