I made some chicken rice casserole and the rice was crunchy :-(

I was going to use the leftovers to make enchiladas, but I'm worried the rice will still be crunchy, even though i put it back in the oven for 30 minutes after I realized the rice was crunchy. I haven't checked the rice yet, but I'm afraid it'll still be crunchy. Do you think that mixing it with some sour cream and making enchilada's out of it will soften the rice, or should I just start from scratch for my enchilada's?

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• add a little chicken stock to it ir water chicken stock just has more flavor
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• just needs more moisture
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 4:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• MAYBE START FROM SCRATH! SORRY IT CAME OUT THAT WAY THO..I BET U WERE LOOKIN FWD TO A G8 MEAL. WERE U MAKING MEXICAN RICE OR JUST WHITE RICE? THE WAY I MAKE MY MEXICAN RICE IS I MEASURE OUT HALF A CUP..I PUT A DAB OF COOKING OIL IN THE PAN N THROUGH THE RICE IN IT TO GET IT GOLDEN THEN I TOSS MINCED UP ONION N BELL PEPPER LET THAT COOK A LIL BIT THEN I POUR IN THE 2 1/2 CUPS OF WATER..I ADD IN THE TOMATO/CHKN BULLION..GARLIC POWDER..ONION POWDER..PEPPER..A CERY SMALL DAB OF SALT IF U WANT BUT NOT NECESSARY CUZ THE BULLION IS SALTY..HALF A CAN OF TOMATO SAUCE MIX THE INGREDIENTS IN THEN I LET IT ALONE TO BOIL IF YOU SEE THE WATER GOING DOWN GRADUALLY ADD SOME IN ALWAYS TASTE THE JUICE TO SEE IF U NEED MORE SEASONING! MY KIDS ALWAYS LICK THE PLATE WHEN I MAKE RICE! HOPE IT TURNS OUT GOOD FOR YA!!

GUDMOMMY86

Answer by GUDMOMMY86 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Did you have enough liquid for the rice to cook? Or did you maybe overcook it?
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 4:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sounds like you undercooked the rice. You're supposed to pre-cook rice before putting it into a cassarole, because rice doesn't always get enough moisture in a cassrole to cook thoroughly. You can reheat the rice with a little water or chicken stock to help finish cooking before adding it to the enchaladas.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• All you need is more liquid
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• add more liquids to soften up the rice i use to have that problem with yellow rice
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2010