Was your amnio accurate for Down's Syndrome?

I know the screening tests are not accurate, but wondering if your amnio was right. I am currently wondering whether or not to get the amnio after the quad screen said possibility of Down's.

LovemyQ

Asked by LovemyQ at 4:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I never had any of the genetic testing. Decided that I would deal with what ever life threw my way.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i did the screens and they came back positive for downs the drs wanted me to do the amnio but told me there was a high risk for losing the baby..so i op'ted not to do it and my dd is 7mnths and completely healthy! Also there are other ultrasounds they can do and measure the limbs and let you know if they are..good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 4:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I had a positive screening for spina bifida but chose not to get the amnio. Even if that turned out positive as well there was no way to tell if that was going to be accurate either, nor was there anything I could have done about it, except abort I guess but that was NOT an option for me, plus I didn't want to run the risk however slight of miscarriage so I chose to just let it be. Turned out to be a false positive anyway. If you need to know now then go ahead and get the amnio but if you don't plan on doing anything even if it turns out to really be an accurate positive then why bother? There is nothing you or the doctors can do to help with anything until birth anyway. Plus, again even the amnio might not even be accurate.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My dds dr said her AFP test came out positive for downs syndrome & she had to go to a specialist & have another more thorough ultrasound. He said everything looked fine but she still had a 1 in 66 chance. I think everythings fine. With mine I opted out too.
    sweetsinglemama

Answer by sweetsinglemama at 4:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i didnt it said i have a 4% and i prayed and just made up my miind that it didnt matter because shes my baby and theres nothing they can do to fix it so ill just find out once shes born bc a lot could go wrong with the amnio test you can miss care or bleed a lot. is what i was told so thats also why i didnt do it.
    twimommy

Answer by twimommy at 4:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I opted out of all the genetic tests. I would have her regardless of what the test said and pregnancy is stressful enough without a false positive.

Now if they could ever give a 'yes' or 'no' with 100% accuracy, then I might re-think it but I'm not gonna base my stress on a 1 in 66 chance.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• They told me it was a possibilty with my second son. I refused the amnio because the results wouldn't change anything. He's still my baby. Long story short my son. Was born perfectly healthy.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I didnt do the screening. It didnt matter to me either way, i would still love and keep the baby and knowing something is wrong with it would have stressed me out while pregnant and i didnt want that. And i deff would not have let them stick a needle into my babies sac to test for it. Not worth it to me. Just my opinion though.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I dont do them! They are only 60 % accurate!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My quad screen showed higher than normal risk of chromosomal abnormalities. I specifically opted for the amio because it would have changed the outcome. Sacrifice one (fetus) life or three (baby, DH and mine... plus any possible future kids)?

I really don't see it as simply a matter of "deal with it", with some of the genetic disorders (more trisomy 18, for example, than DS) it's a matter of minimizing pain and suffering for the child. I loved my child enough to risk suffer so it wouldn't have to. Thankfully in my case everything turned out perfect, but we were prepared for worst case.

Many of the people I've known that say "we love him/her anyway" resenting the child and the drain and other effects it's had on their lives. How is that the "loving" option?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010