Do you always have a bond with someone that you have had sex with?

If you make a mistake and have sex before you get married will you always have a bond with those other guys?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No.

Sex and spirituality or emotional bonds are completely separate issues.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• my DH has been my only partner, and I his
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Tell me more Obby.....
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• First of all I don't think it's a mistake to have sex before marriage, but sex does release a lot of oxytocin the "bonding" chemical. However you need a significant amount of it to feel truly bonded to someone, so to answer your question not really. Especially not if it's a one night stand with no deeper connection. It also is something that fades. With my ex-boyfriends I feel more connected to the memories than the people.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 4:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No. I absolutely Loathe two of my exboyfriends. One I have a platonic soft spot for, but I have no bond with him over our ONE time we had sex.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• heck no
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 4:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No. There are a couple yes but not just because of the sex. Then there are a few that wouldn't have made a difference in my life whether or not we had sex, it was purely for pleasure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No. I had some one night stands that didn't mean anything other than sex.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• In some religions sexual connections are some of the highest culminations of spirituality- That I accept as their religious belief. However, that does not apply to us (humans) as a whole.

Emotional bonds are something that are often formed before hand, enhancing the sexual experience. And for some, leading them to believe that the bond is strengthened by their physical connection. When sex occurs outside of emotional investment it does not form an emotional bond between partners, nor does it necessarily lead to one. It is the physical act of mating which creates a physical bond between two people. When the act is finished, the bond is broken.

I realize that some may disagree, and that from a religious stand point they are imprinted with concept of monogamy, exclusivity, and the bond that forms between two people as a result of their mating. However, this is exclusive to religion, not human sexuality.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No I don't feel bonded or connected to any previous relationships. I'm on friendly terms with them as well.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010