I'm weak and I allow my dh to sabotage my efforts at getting healthy.

We were both brought up with unhealthy eating habits. YEARS later, I am trying to change the way my family eats. I try real hard not to buy the junk, but my dh still buys it and brings it into the house. I've asked him not to. He says it is a treat for me or us. But these treats are daily! Well the kids see it and they want it and I am weak and lose control if I know something junkie is in the house. I eat/drink it until it is gone. I want him to not bring it in the house, how do I get strong and discipline myself so I don't eat or drink it? or get him to NOT bring it in, when I have already pleaded with him not to bring it into the house?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 4:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Be strong, maybe just have a small hand full to get it out of your system but then remember what you are working towards.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's all about choice. What's more important to you? I know it's hard, but he has a right to eat as he chooses too - you can encourage him to make healthy choices, but he's not a child and you're not his boss. You can, however, choose to do what is right for you. You just have to decide to do it and not give in. You also might want to sit down with him - and your pediatrician - and discuss what your children should/should not be eating. Good Luck.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How many women do you know that would only buy the foods that their husbands told them they could buy? How many women would find it acceptable for their husband to throw away what they purchased? How many women would be upset and angry and screaming about it if he chose to crush their purchases in the driveway? How many women would be whining about their rights?

This isn't about disrespecting another person. And while he may not be supporting your efforts, that isn't license to become a dictator and treat him badly. It's his home too, and he's got rights too.

You control what you put in your mouth. And alice said it very well - I'd have a talk with him and your dr, all together, to come to consensus on what is acceptable for your children to be eating.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 4:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sounds like you need to have a serious talk with him, not pleading but sharing your thoughts and listening to his. And then reaching a compromise. Not your way, not his way - but a mutual decision.

Not acting like a brat and treating him like crap in his own house.

Unless your goal is for him to leave. In which case, by all means throw things away and stomp on them.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 4:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Thanks everyone for your support and kind words.
    QandA

Comment by QandA (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Look into Juice Plus. It's a very simple way to get more fruits and vegetables into your families daily diet. It has 17 differnent fruits and vegetables in a capsule or a gummy. The company also does a childrens health study allowing each adult taking the capsules to get an order of capsules or gummies for a child ages 4-18 or an undergrad in college for free. If you'd like more info please contact me. It really is the easiest way to ensure that your family is healthier by getting nutrition from whole foods and by filling in the gaps between what you eat every day and the nutrients your body needs to be healthy.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Throw it out everytime he buys it. He'll get the hint. He can eat it at work if he wants too away from you and the kids.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree with karamille, as soon as it comes in, grab in, throw it in the driveway and crush it to molecules.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 4:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010