How can I keep my baby satisfied?

He is gulping by the time my milk comes in, and its never enough to satisfy him to get him to sleep. I'm eating normal, but perhaps he's growing and he won't take a bottle/formula, so I don't know what to do. He is such a good baby when he isn't hungry and it makes me sad that I can't seem to give him as much as he wants to eat. He is almost 4 months

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 months is a HUGE growth spurt, all you can do is feed on demand, and it shouldn't take too long before your milk supply ups to meet the demand. It's one of those rocky points, it's hard to keep up when they're on a growth spurt, but you can do it! =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 4:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• At 4 months it is most likely a growth spurt. Just feed him more often. Meaning, put him to the breast everytime he cries.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Every time he cries, shove a boob in his mouth. he is growing. your body will provide him with EVERYTHING he needs. Don't doubt your ability to sustain him...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You are doing good and you have come this far, keep feeding as he wants.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• By the way, if you have a hyperactive milk ejection reflex, he will not have a choice but to gulp! it is either that, or gag! once you let down, and your milk readily flows it is hard to stop. Just because he is gulping does not mean that he is super hungry, he is likely just trying to keep up with you. lol

At this age, with a growth spurt mine would cluster feed every 45 minutes to hour! it was insane, but they never once needed a bottle. This is your first child? If so, I understand your concern, but formula was created to MIMIC what your body naturally makes, and it can do absolutely no good for him (and only harm). Do what you've been doing, just more often.

(((HUG)))

You're doing a great job!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't really have anything to add, just wanted to say that the ladies that posted already are right on point!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree with PP's, it sounds like a growth spurt -- just keep nursing, he'll slow down on the eating, I promise!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Feed as often and as long as possible. Baby is probably going through a growth spurt and unfortunatly during these there really isnt much to satify them. My baby nurse for hours during growth spurts.
    kellyjwarren

Answer by kellyjwarren at 5:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Believe in your ability to feed your baby! Believe in your ability to feed your baby! Believe in your ability to feed your baby!

You don't need bottles or formula. Breastfeed more. If there isn't enough milk today, that's ok. The increased breastfeeding will make there be more milk tomorrow or the next day. You will make enough milk for your baby by increased breastfeeding. Make sure you get a good long feeding on the first breast 20-30 min.

The women in Haiti are breastfeeding their babies in tent cities with little food or water and hurricaines. They are refusing donations of breastmilk or formula. The women in Afganistan are breastfeeding in a was. The women with HIV in Africa are breastfeeding their babies. American women can breastfeed our babies. It's something we share with all women.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's perfectly normal behavior. For the first 3-4 months babies are insatiable and then they go through periodic growth spurts even after that when all they do is suckle. This builds supply. Just keep nursing!

Remember to look at OUTPUT a baby who is getting enough is going to pee. What goes in must come out. 6-8 wet diapers a day indicates plenty of milk is being consumed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010