back talkin

how do i get my 4 year old to stop back talkin nothin i seem to do works

Runt420

Asked by Runt420 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What ever you decide to do you have to remain consistent. If you send her to her room then do that all the time. If you say you are going to take something away then follow through. With my niece I explain to her that it is not respectful to speak to someone with that kind of tone or attitude and she can leave the room until she can come talk to me nicely. BTW she is 4 and when she returns she has to apologize for her attitude and respectfulness.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Take away the TV, game boy or whatever electronic"toy" he has and likes for a day or so. Tell him that if he stops backtalking, he will get it back. Stick to your word, it is hard, but doable!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• my dd is 2 1/2 and started this a little bit. I put her in time out(5 mins) and take away her toys (30 mins).

When she gets out of time out, if she doesn't apologize and/or admit it was bad, and talks back again she goes back in time out.

Like yesterday she learned from her cousin "Go way".. and I said that's not nice and she got time out. She hasn't said it since.

I'm not saying it stops all of it.. but she's learning what's nice and not nice to say to people little by little.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yeah, let me know when you find the answer. I tried time-outs with my 3 1/2 year old daughter...all she'll do is scream at the top of her lungs. If I ignore her, she continues screaming. Yesterday, one of the little neighbor boys came to the window and asked me if she was okay.....that's how loud and bad she screams. So time-outs definitely do not work here. I'm at a total loss.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:43 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• time outs! be strict!!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have this SAME problem with my almost 4 year old.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010