How can I calm my baby down at night?

I have a 4 month old daughter and every night for the last three weeks she has started screaming at 8pm (witch is her bed time) untill about 10pm... I have tried every thing I can think of of to clam her down... (baby tylenol, gas drops, teething tablets, warm bath with calming bath washes, bed time lotions ect..) And the only thing I have found that has calmed her down part of the time is to put her on my legs and bounce her but then when I go to move her most of the time she wakes up and when I can get her off with out her waking up I end up having to have sleep in bed with me... Does any one have any advice for what I can do to help her?

Blond_Mommy

Asked by Blond_Mommy at 12:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• does she like music? I put a cd player in w/ my baby and she would fall asleep to that? Lullabies and things like that LOL Not metalica
    Anonymous

• I don't know if this is it but my daughter cried whenever I put her down. She would eat if I fed her. Turned out, her belly was so full, it was uncomfortable to be horizontal. She did fine if she was lying on my chest. As soon as I was told how much was enough in 24 hours, it was like magic. She slept like a baby! I hope it isn't colic but it sounds like it. I feel for you.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 1:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• When my son was that age he did the same thing - just had a random cry-fest at that time of night. I know with me, I tried too hard. It ended up the only thing that worked after I met all of his needs (food, clean diaper, warm, etc.) was to hold him close, sing to him softly, and just let him cry it out if he needed to. Try to see it as bonding... it may not stop her from crying, but if nothing else is working, it's worth a try.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Our daughter would also scream. We figured out that it was BECAUSE she needed sleep but couldn't quite drift off. If you have ever been forced to stay awake too long, you know how extremely painful it is: every bone and muscle ACHES! Helping her to drift off is what you are doing - some good aids to this are: candlelight instead of electric lights, and no electronic stuff - tv, etc. going on. Lullaby-singing is time-honored, she gets the reassurance of your ongoing voice. Rocking; you already are holding her, which is PERFECT. ... It is common practice to sleep with young children, just go with it ! And sleeping with you is SO good for her physically, mentally, emotionally, neurologically - remember that when the umbilical cord was cut, it only stopped her PHYSICAL connection with you: she is still totally connected in those other ways. Until she's at least 3. Your presence nourishes and heals like nothing else can.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My babies all had their inconsolable times. Hang in there--it passes. We put the carseat on the washer/ dryer, took midnight drives, pushed the stroller around the house, blasted noise machines in their rooms, set a lullaby cd to repeat in their room, and probably many more. I was constantly sacked out on the couch with the baby when they were young.
    Anonymous

• Try just white noise...when your TV is on no channel...just the fuzzy stuff. I have heard that works...if not...try something else. LOL Of course.
    Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• A WARM BATH AND LULLABIES.

Answer by older at 5:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT MAYBE YOU SHOULD WRAP HER UP WITH THE BLANKET LIKE THEY DID IN THE HOSPITAL WHEN THEY ARE FIRST BORN, MAKE IT SNUGGLY AND SECURE.

Answer by older at 5:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Try the magic sleepsuit it helps calm babies. www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous