what are some "fun" meals for 18 month olds?

i have a hard time gettting hime to eat much so i thought maybe if they were more fun he would be more likely to eat

tylersmommy54

Asked by tylersmommy54 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cheese cubes, boiled eggs diced, crackers, goldfish crackers, fresh fruit.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sorry, I've never made "fun" meals. I believe that mealtime is eating time, not playing time. I make dinners with a good variety of tastes, colors, and textures. I make finger-friendly foods. I make meals that provide my children's nutritional needs. But I've never been concerned with "fun" at a meal, so I have no suggestions.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i use to love goulash! it was so fun! macaroni noodles are ALWAYS fun! plus, it's got hidden vegetables. Also, try ravioli and this snack my mom used to make me (not very healthy, but yummy)....all it is is white bread, butter and sugar. simple and yummy....i want one now.....
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• decoratin food they love it make funny faces and shapes no matter what it is
    Runt420

Answer by Runt420 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• snacks: my dd loved gerber puffs for EVER, lol.. cut up seedless grapes, banana's, apple slices, (well most fruits), cherrios or other fun cereal snacks..

Breakfast: make mini pancakes for finger foods, even try shapes, try different dips, like fruit dips, etc.
    Lunch: my dd wasn't a sandwich lover, so we use to do a fruit cut up with cheese and a side pasta dish, any pasta dish to sneak in a veggie to two ; )
    Dinner: we just tried to make sure we have a variety of things out of what we had and tried to have her at least try one of everything..

Now I notice, the more I let her help me make it the more she wants to eat it...
    like I let her crack the eggs for breakfast, or get the fruit she wants out of the fridge, or butter the bread, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I've used cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into different shapes, but that's about it.

And I don't think mealtime is playtime either - why on earth would someone vote down that answer?
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 5:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• see tyler is weird sometimes he hates bananas but he will chew on onion?!?!?! so i try different things all the time its just alot of our meal times become power struggles. i think meals can be fun???cant they??? i know one person on here said they didnt find meals fun
    tylersmommy54

Comment by tylersmommy54 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• In my house, food is for nutrition - fuel. Not entertainment. We enjoy our meals but it's not our "fun time".
    Just as my kids were never expected to eat during playtime, they aren't expected to play during eating time.
    I think meals should be appealing ... like someone else said, different flavors and shapes and colors and textures ... but not fun. The interaction with my family members combined with good foods is what makes a mealtime a great experience.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 5:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My kids are much older now but when they were little we had a lot of finger foods, which they enjoyed, but never focused on making mealtime fun.

Eating is supposed to be satisfying ... learning to taste different things, to feel hungry and solve that hungry feeling with food, learning how much to eat and not to overeat. Food for fun sounds to me like something that is contributing to the obesity problem. If the little ones are so busy having fun at mealtime, how are they going to tune in to their body signals and learn how different foods make them feel?
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 5:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Mealtime shouldn't be a fight. Just offer healthy food and he'll eat what he eats.

For "fun" toddler foods... anything you can dip. My son LOVES avocados... so I'll make cheese quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas and give him guac to dip it in (or sometimes just a spoon!). Same thing with pita bread and hummus... Peas are always "fun" because of the shape and color... Offer spoon and forks and bowls... they love to practice!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010