Is there a way to perpare myself for breast feeding?

I want to breast feed my baby when she comes, but my nipple are so sore now. It was very hard for me to breast feed my son but I wanted to give it another try with this baby.

Ash1_love

Asked by Ash1_love at 12:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I took a breast feeding class that helped me go online and see if the hospital you are delivering at will have a class it's like 10 dollars......
    kaleigh111

Answer by kaleigh111 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• THE BEST ADVICE I WAS GIVEN WAS THAT IT IS GONNA HURT, BUT IF YOU CAN HANG IN THERE FOR ATLEAST 2 FULL WEEKS IT GETS SO MUCH EASIER. SOMETIMES I WOULD CRY WHILE SHE NURSED, BUT AFTER 2 WEEKS IT WAS NO PROBLEM. JUST 2 WEEKS WAS MY MANTRA!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 1:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i was told to get a soft baby tooth brush and every time i was in the shower, brush the nipple. more so the areola. it only hurt for a split second when they would latch and that was it.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I have my hubby latch on like an infant would and suck the way one would too. It hurt at the beginning but now not so much. I also have him roll my nipples between his fingers. NOT hard mind you, just enough to start to toughen them up. When we're in the shower he gets a wash cloth and rubs it on my nipples and areloa to toughen them up. Books certainly help, but my point of veiw is that Indians didn't run down to Borders for a breastfeeding book hundreds of years ago. Lol. When you have the baby the nurses will also help you with techniques. You can even choose to try breastfeeding right after your baby is born, right in the delivery room!!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• read read read.... Get as educated as possible and get support!! bfing is hard and I know I couldn't do it without the two!! You are making the right choice, good luck and don't give up!!
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Read up on it. Also, try out breast pads now already, before your baby is born. I found out I was allergic to them and had to use the cotton, reusable ones. It'd probably be better to find some that your nipples and breast skin can handle, before you start bfing. Good luck!!!
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Marlygirl said she had her hubby suck on them to help toughen them up..that's a no no..becuase when the nipple is stimulated(sucked on) it releases a hormone that causes you to go into labor.. ask your dr about that. but i would try everything else except actual sucking. at the end when babies are not wanting to come out, thats one of the tricks docs will tell you to do to help start labor, like sex.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. As yo know, a certain amount of pain is normal. I was super sensitive my whole pregnancy, but it somehow worked with my son (not to say it was easy). They still hut at 7 weeks sometimes, but it's worth it to know that he's getting the best thing for him. That's part of being a parent-giving your child the best thing, even when it's not the easiest thing, and it hurts.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Really now? Cuz my doctor TOLD me to. Listen to whatever you want.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2008