Smart meters ARE smart?

Apparently so, according to an independent analysis.

An independent analysis of the electronic meter-reading system operated by California's largest utility says the devices are highly accurate, despite thousands of customer complaints.

The report on Pacific Gas & Electric Co.'s "smart meter" program was released Thursday at a meeting of the California Public Utilities Commission. The regulators had ordered the five-month review.

The report found smart meters were accurately gauging electricity use. It said poor customer service by PG&E contributed to widespread customer dissatisfaction.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/09/02/state/n134909D63.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0yPRtoJjE

Asked by gdiamante at 5:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's funny, because my bill has tripled since that thing was installed. I know, I know... it's all Deans fault because he was born the same month it was installed. It must be all the electricity that kid uses!

I'm just mad at the CPUC for the incredibly unfair rate levels they set. We pay more per Kw because we have a larger household. Should I split my bill up into 5, one for each person? That might actually meet the baseline they set! We need some competition here!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

"Despite THOUSANDS of complaints. LOL Right..... I have not received my first bill since it's installation but I will be complaining I'm sure.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My bill actually went down significantly after the Smart Meter was installed. We are very energy conscious around our house and I was happy with the change. Plus l like that no one has to come to my house to "read the meter" anymore. That was such a pain with the dogs.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 6:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I use to have some thing similar it actually raised my bill.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I hated that thing. I had it when I lived in Ohio. but when I moved back to Michigan it was back to the regular old meters. But that wont last forever. They told me they are planning on switching in the next couple of years. yuck. My bill went up from it, and i was always having problems.
    superm0m877

Answer by superm0m877 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010