has your mom/dad past on?

my mom died when i was 16 im having my second child and it breaks my heart that she will never know them im 24. and it feels like the pain will never go away but my question is

*do you tell your kids about your mom/dad so they will kinda know them or do you just keep it to yourself?

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 5:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My Dad died in 1989 when I was 17. Good riddance. He never wanted me or a relationship with me. Prior to his death,he last saw me at my 11th birthday when he stayed a whole 2 seconds at my door to drop off my gift. if my son asks,I'll tell him the truth.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• fortunately, my parents are both still living. my dh's dad isn't, and sometimes the subject comes up, simply because our son (5yo) will asks off-the-wall questions..and he hears me call my parents 'mom and dad'..he wonders where dh's dad is. its only natural, the curiosity. it seems every answer begs another question; we just let the ds lead..if he wants to know something, and asks, we answer in kind.
    he knows dh's dad is passed because he got sick. and he knows sometimes old people die. they ask pointed questions--they deserve real answers. IMO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My mother died of colon cancer when she was 37. I was 14.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, my parents have passed on. They have both been dead now for several years.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Both of my parents(and my MIL) have passed away I tell my kids things about them all the time and I take my DS fishing like I used to do with my Dad it's bittersweet and I am guaranteed to cry because I wish my mom and dad were still around.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My dad died when I was 20 years old and it was extremely hard when I got married and then had my first child and he wasn't around. I keep a picture of my mom (still alive) and dad hanging in my son's (4 yrs old) room and I tell him all about his grandpa. When he asks why he can't see him I take him outside and tell him he is in heaven and lives up where the stars are.
    Sam33181

Answer by Sam33181 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My dad just died last summer (as did my SO's father). We will be telling the new baby about her grandfathers. I don't want them to be just pictures to her, like my grandmother on my dad's side was. to me.
    Tink0711

Answer by Tink0711 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My mom passed away 6 1/2 years ago. My oldest son remembers her, he was 5.5 when she died, but my second son was only 14 months and my youngest not born yet. We have pictures of her around and we talk about her all the time. They know that my snow globes were Granny's and that eventually they will each get one. We talk about how my oldest and youngest have her crooked little finger, the things she did with the older boys and how much she loved them and would still love them. Even though they can't meet her and know her, I want my kids to know who she was and how much she meant to me and how much she loved her grandsons.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Neither of my actual parents have..but my stepdad who had a hand in easing me died 8 years ago this December..I haven't said anything to our dd about it since she's only 2, but I think she knows who he is..he still comes around and checks in every year (I know it sounds crazy bit it's true), and when the time comes for her to know who an where he is, she will.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My mom died in August 2000 when I was 23 and she was 51. I had just had my first child 7 weeks earlier. It was hard. I still can't believe it's been 10 years. My dad talked to the kids about her all the time. I talk about her occasionally, especially during the holidays because my favorite memories of her are during the holidays.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010