Rude Teens?

Maybe I am old school, but whatever happened to teens saying "hello", "thank you", etc? Some of my kids friends get rides home from school, movies, etc along with my teens and never say anything to me.

What is up with that?

AdrianaS

Asked by AdrianaS at 5:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It's because you're a parent. Just let it go or start up by saying Hello.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• its either because they are young and just forget or dont understand the importance, there parents didnt teach them manners, etc.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Seems to be the current downward spiral of our wonderful children. Talk to your kids, tell them that you dont mind taking their friends home or to games ect. But you would like the respect of "Thank you" or you would appreciate them not coming over.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Mostly its because it seems parents just dont care if their kid has manners or not..I'll be damned if my son doesn't use his manners at that age. but.... Some might be shy which is why they never talk.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Just tell them if you want to get a ride home in my car you have to actually say Hello Mrs_____. Goodby Mrs____.

Answer by louise2 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• They've spent so much time texting, tweeting, emailing, face-booking, etc. that real face-time interaction is alien to them! Did you ever see the movie, Wall-E? That's where this generation could be heading! What a shame too- b/c when they're not being self-obsorbed, obnoxious money-suckers, they can be quite pleasant & enganging :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• For some teenagers, it might just be their hormones making them extra self-absorbed and rude. For others, its because they were not taught manners and respectfulness from their parents. I know how irritating it can be.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I totally agree with mrsmom110 - I think real face interaction is difficult for them. I also think most parents assume children receive their manners from society and don't think to teach them to properly introduce themselves, say thank you or hello. I was always pleasantly surprised when my of kids friends said hello, thank you and good bye!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think its a matter of parents not teaching them manners. My boys are very respectful to other parents, they say please, thank you, hello, they even just stop over and have conversations with the parents of their friends. Their friends do the same with me and my husband. My boys have even made breakfast in bed the next morning for their friends mothers for letting them stay the night.
    It's something that needs to be taught. I think it also helps our community is very small and we all look out for each other's children, so they probably see us as second or third parents in away.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My teenagers and their friends do not get away with that at all. If they don't say anything to me, I make sure to say something to them. Depending on their reaction, I inform them what is polite and without they won't get anywhere with me! and my kids back me up on this!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010