How does your child remember to clean themselves up after they go to the bathroom? (kinda gross!)

My son is 5 and when he is at home it is easy to remind him he needs to clean himself after he goes #2. When he is at school though, he doesn't remember or he just won't do it, which makes his laundry...interesting. I know his teacher is very busy with the other students, so would it be out of line for me to ask her to remind him when he goes, to make sure he cleans himself?

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• since hes so young, im sure she wouldnt mind. kindergarten teachers deal with things like that. they deal with kids having accidents. just ask her. she will most likeley say yes, but whats the worst that can happen? she will say sorry no i cant do that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't want a teacher responsible for that and I would say that the teacher wouldn't want that responsibility. We just taught our son to wipes with flushable wipes from the get-go. He is 5 now and we still have the wipes in the bathroom, just in case he needs them. We've never had any issues. He doesn't go to school though, so I'm not really sure what to tell you there.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The teacher is not a babysitter. I agree with the first poster, I don't think she would want that responsibility. You just need to stay on him and remind him before he leaves the house. Eventually he will.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Have him rinse out a pair or 2 of his yucky underwear- it'll be an experience he won't soon forget!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Thanks for the comments! Just to clear things up, I wasn't going to ask her to actually clean him, or check him to see if he did. I was going to ask her to remind him that he needs to clean himself. But I see your point.
    nmmama09

Comment by nmmama09 (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't want that responsibility as a teacher. How does he ask to use the restroom? In many schools it's a raised hand with a certain number of fingers. She would have to stop what she's doing, go discreetly to your son and remind him to clean himself, and if another child happens to figure out what she's saying your son is sure to be teased.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think that you would be setting your son up for teasing with the other kids if they heard the teacher reminding him to wipe. Believe it or not, a lot of people I know with boys go through these issues with their sons around this age and even a few years older. Just stress wiping every chance you get, make him clean up after himself, remind him before school everyday, but don't put it on the teacher, this one is yours.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• He needs to take care of it himself. Do not ask the teacher to remind him. Ew.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010