Has anyone here ever fasted? How long did you go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have gone through various fasts. When I was younger and attending my mother's church (Apostolic/Pentecostal) we hasted every Thursday from 6am until 6pm...no water no food no candy or gum. We read the Word and prayed periodically throughout the day. I've also done a meat fast and television fast for about a week.
    delight0757

Answer by delight0757 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I'm muslim we just got over our month long fast which ended on Oct. 1st. Every year during the month of Ramadan we fast from dawn till dusk.
    AmmuJinanSamaan

Answer by AmmuJinanSamaan at 1:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• yes, a day here and a day there.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I have done one day just liquids. Normally I skip a meal and pray for a week. I ask God for guidness or prior on going on mission trips..
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• as mentioned there are various fasts. It doesn't have to mean to go without any food at all. You could cleanse your body of all junk food or all items of sugar substance or go without meat. I've gone several times for days on liquids only. I still tried to maintain a healthy choice of liquids so I wouldn't do my body harm.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i think if you are doing a food/drink fast, you should limit it. a day or two-well, theres nothing wrong with having water to drink at least in a fast....but if your doing something else-tv, computer, a certain food, etc. you can do it as long as you want. i usually fast from something more specific. giving up a certain show i love or cant miss. and using that time to pray and read my bible. there are so many ones to do...just dont fast from food for more than a couple days...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 5:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i fasted today cause last week was general conference. we do it the first sunday of every month and we miss the first two meals.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I have fasted many times. From dusk until dawn.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Depends on the type of fast. During Lent, we Orthodox have a pretty stringent fast for 40 days. I'd have to look up the exact schedule, but we systematically wean out meat, fish, dairy, oil, wine, and bread. We are left with strict vegetarian (I believe - because of the medical needs in my own house, I'm given a lot of lenience in the fasting department) right before Pascha.

But fasting is not to be taken lightly, and by itself, with no additional prayers and almsgiving, means nothing. So to fast just to "follow the rules" is kinda pointless. That's not its purpose.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 7:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Before my 1st degree initiation I went through a 24 hour fast, nothing but water. It made the experience much more enlightening.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2008