Speechless. adult content

I just came across this article on bikini waxing for CHILDREN. What do you guys think of it?
http://gothamist.com/2008/08/15/virgin_bikini_waxing_now_popular_fo.php

SabrinaBean

Asked by SabrinaBean at 6:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• SabrinaBean

Comment by SabrinaBean (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's nasty! Why can't we let kids be kids for more than 4 years or so?! I agree with the sexualization of young girls this and other things cause.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's creepy!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Wow, I think I wish my mom would have done something like that for me! I hate shaving! Removing their hair isn't going to hurt them and it saves them YEARS of shaving or waxing and TONS of money in the long run... Not sure how that is bad...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sick comes to mind. Sexualizing young girls... you tell a girl to NEVER let anyone touch her down there... and then you take her to someone to wax her non-existent pubes? What if she wants to have pubic hair when she gets older? Gah. Just wrong on so many levels,
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I get what your saying other Sabrina, but I think it just sends the wrong message when they are that age. And who knows, the Big Bush might just come back into style and then where would our children be?? :P The tie in with the pageant picture also left a bad taste in my mouth.
    SabrinaBean

Comment by SabrinaBean (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well Sabrina what if they don't want the hair removed? Whatever happened to personal choice? It's a private area of the body... and who cares about years of shaving and waxing? If they grow up and decide they REALLY don't want the hair they can get electrolysis and other forms of permanent hair removal. Would you tattoo eyeliner on your kid, cause heck, that saves tons of money in the long run, and I know I hate putting makeup on in the morning!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I didn't say I was going to find a place to have my kids done. I just said I don't see how it's all that bad. I wish my mom had done it. I've had "Permanent" hair removal done and it's not permanent once you're an adult... Plus, I don't see how basic hygiene is ever going to go out of style... I don't think it sends any message unless you want it to. Kids aren't going to put a sexual meaning behind it, only adults do that.

Anyways, I guess it's just what angle you look at it from...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think that's more a problem with the pageants (aka Parade for Pedophiles!) than is with the idea of a girl getting a bikini wax.

Do 8 and 9 year olds these days actually have anything thing there TO wax off? My heart goes out to them.

When DD is old enough to give me a good reason that she needs to go get waxed and can come up with the money to get it done, I'll take her in.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Wow. That is all I can say. Speechless is right. And to think kids won't put a sexual price tag on it is wrong, they will. We live in a world where more and more individuals at younger and younger ages are over sexualized. True, kids do not know the meaning of sexy or what is sexy. But we teach them. So when they grow older they see sexy as having low cut shirts, short skirts, talking sexual....not what sexy really is. Sexy is the entire package. The intelligence, the interests and passions, how someone is respectful of your interests, supportive - all those tings and more is what is sexy. Not just how a person looks at that moment. We do teach kids, from the time they are born, what is sexy. Hopefully I teach my son sexy is dancing around the kitchen and singing. Sexy is a great sense of humor. Sexy is being smart. I want him to find a wife who he sees as sexy. Not just her wax job.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010