What do you know about delayed cord cutting? Did you do it? Why?

Do you know how it effects jaundice?

Just wondering ?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 6:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I heard about this a few years after I had my son. I wish I could have done it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• for our homebirths we never cut the cord right away. i don't know what effect it has on jaundice. i had two babies with jaundice, one was pretty bad.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would think DCC would lead to increased incidences of hyperbilirubinemia ( precursor to jaundice) and polycythemia (too many red blood cells). Both of these conditions can be dangerous.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I saw on the Doctors yesterday there is no benefit and it does affect jaundice and cause infection so why do it?
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I did it with 2 of my 3 births. It increases the baby's iron stores. Studies have shown that bilirubin (jaundice) isn't increased. Here is a great link:

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth/cord-clamping-delaying-cord-clamping

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• IMy son who will be 24 on the 30th was born via emergency c section. He was in critical distress. His cord was cut immediately. I was told by 3 hemotologist(blood specialist) that his severe jaudice was a direct result of that cord cutting. There was no literature out about it then. There is plenty out about it now. Delayed clamping also benefits the circulatory system ( blood volume and retained red blood cells) Delyaed clamping is best if at all possible. Most OB's won't do it though. It's all about CYA and malpractice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son was un planned c section and the cord cutting was rapid as soon as he popped out. He had not a drop of jaundice.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• From what I heard, if they delay cord cutting AND put the baby on mom's chest there is no benefit since the blood isn't flowing in the right direction - if you delay cord cutting and keep the baby below the mom when he/she comes out, there is some benefit but then there is delayed bonding with mom (granted, only a few minutes). Also, if they "milk" the cord then that gets most of the good stuff out of there anyway so there is no benefit to delaying the cord cutting.

Answer by missanc at 8:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010