Problems with my daughters daycare, how should I handle it?

My daughter goes to a very affordable daycare twice a week. The person who runs the daycare is very nice, and great with children but she seems to have money problems that she tells me about all the time. I've noticed that my daughter has been very hungry when I pick her up. I asked the provider if the kids are eating lunch and she says yes. I packed a lunch for her last week and noticed that she was never fed her lunch! My daughter went from 10am-3pm without food! I like the provider but not feeding my kid is not cool. What should I do? We have temp. care until we find a new person. How do I let the provider down easy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• Let me say that I started packing lunches because I wasn't sure if the provider was actually feeding them, or if my kid just wan't eating. I ask if she had lunch and I get inconsistant answers.
    Anonymous

• I would just tell her that you have found other arrangements more suitable for your situation. You don't owe her any answers.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i WOULD JUST TELL HER. IT IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE FOR YOUR CHILD TO HAVE NOT EATEN. tHAT SHE HAS COME HOME HUNGRY BEFORE WHICH IS WHY YOU PACKED THE LUNCH TO BEGIN WITH. YOU ARE SORRY BUT YOU HAVE TO FIND SOMEPLACE ELSE TO TAKE HER.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 1:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• OMG , If I took my babies to Day Care and found out that they was not being fed I would be one PISSED OFF mama . And I mean PISSED !!
    How can they not feed them ? I would be pulling my kids out and turning that provider in to CPS especially if there are other kids there . That is SO WRONG ! Poor Baby !
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Oh yeah , don't most day cares also get food stamps and WIC ? I remember having to sign a paper when my kids went to day care on the food stamp and WIC thing ! I would check that out if I was you !
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I'm in the process of opening a day-care, and I'm sorry but this is unacceptable! I think the food stamps and WIC thing is a state-to-state thing, so that may not be the case for her daycare, but if this woman can't feed the kids she shouldn't have the day-care. I would suggest that you give the other moms a heads-up about your suspicions, as well. But be careful. Are you sure she's not providing food? Maybe DD is just not wanting to eat. Especially if she just started at this daycare. She could be too nervous to eat or too busy wanting to play with all the toys and kids. And the provider isn't suppose to FORCE the child to eat. Cont..
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• cont...
    However, if she's not even offering food then you should take action. AS far as what to tell her, I think you should tell her the truth. Just tell her that you don't agree with her meal plans. Or if you want to make up an excuse just say that you've worked out other arrangements that are more convenient for you and your family. Good luck with this!
    renea20

• I use to notice that my daycare center would avoid saying anything negative if at all possible. They woill tell you what you want to hear. Also alot of teachers in the daycare center are too lazy to give a child a lunch from home because it's easier to give all the kids the same thing. They think if they tell you she's not eating , you may blame them and take your child out of their center. I would have a little chat with the owner and let them know that you need to be notified if your child is not eating , you need to be able to trust them to do what's right for your child and if it happens again you will find another center
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• How old is your daughter? Is she old enough that you could ask her if the daycare is feeding her and get a reliable answer from her? There was a period where my son would come home starving, but he was just choosing not to eat at daycare. He would tell me they weren't feeding him, but come to find out when his brother got out of school for the summer, big brother told me, no mom, they're feeding us, he just says he doesn't like it and won't eat. So, if she's old enough, I'd see if she'll tell you if they're not feeding her or if she just doesn't want to eat. If they are not feeding her, though, I'm sorry, I'd be telling her the truth. You don't feed my kid, I take my kid elsewhere. I'd also consider calling the licensing people and inform them of what she's doing, b/c that is absolutely wrong.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I'm not trying to sound mean in anyway but, is it possible, that since she has told you about her money problems, you might be overthinking this? Maybe since you already have it in your head that she's got money issues, you are looking at your daughter being hungry as more than it is? I know my daughter goes through phases where one day she will eat a lot and the next nothing at all. I don't know, I wouldn't take any drastic measures without thoroughly ivestigating it first.
    Anonymous