Is my 3rd grader getting too much homework?

My daughter just started 3rd grade. It seems to me that her homework so far has been a little excessive. She has gotten homework in 3 subjects each night, math, english and spelling. Last night it took her about 2 hours to finish her homework. The math assignment alone took her a really long time b/c there were 50 problems to do. My daughter is very smart and last year excelled academically, so I don't think its anything to do with her ability. I have spoken with a couple of the other parents in our class and they seem to be having the same experience. One Mom told me her daughter stayed up until midnight last night to finish her homework and another one stayed up until 10:30. I have been reading that a 3rd grader should only get about 30 minutes of homework a night but there is no way my daughter could every complete that amount of work in 30 minutes. Should I approach the teacher about this?

myrrha68

Asked by myrrha68 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They say about 10 min for each grade that they are in so, yea about 30 min should be it. 50 problems just isn't necessary and home work should always be a review of what they have learned in class. I would suggest some of the parents get together and discuss it with the administration.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• yes i would
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Some kids are switching classes already at that age. Is this the case for your daughter? I have found that sometimes one teacher does not know what another teacher is giving for homework.
    You are correct, a third grader should not be getting more than 30-40 minutes of homework a night.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It does seem excessive. I would talk to her teacher and find out if all of the assignment is homework or if she's not finishing the classwork portion at school. I also know that while recommendations are for 10 minutes per grade per night, teachers are often told how much homework to assign from principals or even school boards so the load may not be 100% her call.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• 10 minutes per grade as other pointed out is the SUGGESTED norm by the National Education Association. So a 3rd grader, if following the suggestion should have about 30-40 minutes worth of homework. (They say 10-20 minutes for 1st grade and then add 10 minutes for each grade after). Of course this is 30-40 minutes for the average child. If the course work is a challenge for the child then it will take more time. If they tend to loose focus and delay getting the work done for failure to stay on task it will take more time. The fact that your child has 120 min (3 times the suggested norm) can be a bit alarming. My questions would be: Is this work she's failing to do during class time? What are the school standards and how do they compare to state standards? Is there ways that your daughter can better manage her time? Is she staying focus? (No tv, computer, and other distractions)
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The homework my daughter has been taking home is actually homework and not work she is not completing during class. She just finished her homework and it took her about an hour which is probably the fastest she has done it since starting school this year. I think she actually completed the work pretty fast considering how much it was. She had to do 2 sheets of a math workbook, 30 math problems from a math textbook, 1 sheet of an english workbook and practice for tomorrow's spelling test. I made sure she had no distractions while she was doing her work. Does this seem like a lot? The teacher is brand new to our school, she was just hired to replace last year's teacher that retired. She came from another private school that closed recently due to lack of students.
    myrrha68

Comment by myrrha68 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's a lot of math. Schedule an appointment with the teacher and ask how long she expects the kids to spend on homework, on each subject at night. How much time do they spend on math during the school day?
    What is the consequence if the homework is not done?
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I am a teacher and I agree with you. I would nicely approach the teacher and share your concern. 30 minutes is enough for third grade.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It should be 10 minutes per grade, so yeah, that's way too much. I used to teach third grade. I would never ever give 2 hours of homework. However, some schools I worked at had ridiculous "homework packets" that were ridiculous and huge and we were required to assign it. That might be the situation here. Definitely talk to the teacher about it and find out why s/he is giving so much work. 50 math problems! WOW!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think I would.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2010