Interesting...

Isn't it interesting that anything that goes against the Bible is wrong yet only those who follow the Bible are able to correctly read it? Why is it the Bible only supposedly speaks to believers? How do they come believers if the Bible didn't originally speak to them? Why is it that non believers are somehow unable to correctly read it?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 7:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Don't you know if you aren't a Christian your brain can't work properly because it's been tainted by the Devil!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Good Questions.. I have no idea, but, I would like to think that my reading comprehension is pretty good. Kind of insulting that some think that.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 7:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well in my class one of the people actually said non believers screw up 'translations' by using hermeneutics. I was like WTF?!?! I guess we aren't supposed to look at the time, culture and context in which it was written.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i can take a stab at it..."they had faith"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• ROFL... Sabrina you crack me up....how can we be tainted by the devil if he doesn't exist to us!... Funny how only Christians believe in him too... LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I am not sure who said that, but if you believe you read and interpret the Bible differently than if you do not. Not all Christians interpret the Bible the same way. I am sure there are a number of Christians on here that think my interpretation is wrong but that's OK, I know what I get out of the Bible and how it guides my life. I do not need the approval of anyone on how my Faith works for me.

As far as the ridicule of anything Bible or Christian related- can you give it a rest?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The Bible is there for anyone who wants to read it. Anyone can comprehend and understand it. The Holy Spirit does aid in that understanding and if you are a christian then you have the Holy Spirit within you. It seems as though you have come across some terrible believers and I hope and pray you come across some that are able to better articulate the beliefs of Christianity to you, that is if you are interested.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 7:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• LOL, Sabrina
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I always find it interesting too, that believers can quote out of context passages at non-believers all day long, but as soon as a non-believer starts quoting back, they scream that we don't truly understand the meaning, or it was taken out of context. Double-standard much?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well in my class one of the people actually said non believers screw up 'translations' by using hermeneutics.

No, in my mind they are incorrect- you must look at the time and culture in which it was written to understand. Understanding the time and culture SHOULD strengthen your beliefs not threaten them. Look at it like our USA-Founding Documents- they have been interpreted and re-interpreted, they have been revised and amended-people still argue over the intent of the language in them-it makes them no less valid than the day they were written. They are full of ideals that still hold true today-and so it is with the Bible. Image what the Founding Documents will look like thousands of years from now.....the ideals will still be there and still be our guide but they will be open to even further interpretation.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010