is it safe to pick up 40lbs?

i just found out i am pregnant prob about a month and a half along. my question is i have a 40lbs three year old that likes me to pick her up all the time esp when she is getting off the bus from school. i couple time i have picked her up i got a little pain in my belly. is it not safe for me to be picking her up?

vampire2007

Asked by vampire2007 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They don't recommend it but if you have always done so, there's no reason to not. It's cautioned to not do any activities that you aren't already doing like going horseback riding unless you have always done so.

Keep in mind that women used to do hard labor.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If it hurts, don't do it. I would try to start getting your LO used to not being picked up so that later in your pregnancy it isn't as hard on her.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It is not recommended but you can. Anything could or could not happen. Remember to lift with your arms or thigh muscles, not your stomach muscles or back. Would she understand if you explained that mommy's carrying a baby right now so she can't pick you up?

Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 7:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I was thinking the same thing today after picking my DD up for about the 10th time and I started to get crampy. She is only 15 months, but weighs around 28lbs. I have no choice in the matter lol so I guess I'm going to keep on keeping on... good luck though :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i told her i have a baby in my belly but i dont think she really gets it. i dont think she will catch on till i start showing
    vampire2007

Comment by vampire2007 (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It depends on how you feel and how your muscles are. I regularly lifted 50 to 60 lbs at work before becoming pregnant this time. Once I got past the morning sickness, I was fine picking up my 3 year old and even did a few jobs lifting up to 40 lbs a month before my due date this time. Make sure you lift with your legs - bend your knees and push up when lifting so you don't strain your back or belly. If it still hurts, I would check with your OB. It's hard just to stop picking your 3 year old up - you don't want her to associate the baby with you not giving her the same attention as before. I sometimes have my son stand on the couch or a chair so I don't have to bend down as far which may help.
    Autumn317

Answer by Autumn317 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Not sure, I am 9 wks and I still pick up 20 lbs bag of dog food and put it in my basket at the grocery store but I won't lift much more than that at a time.
    SarahFire82

Answer by SarahFire82 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• "i told her i have a baby in my belly but i dont think she really gets it. i dont think she will catch on till i start showing"

I'm sure your Dr have heard of this happening before and he/she may have some good tips or advice. Be careful and good luck!!!
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 10:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't do it.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 11:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010