Why do women wear fake nails, really?

I can't wear them only because I don't enjoy long nails, end of story. And coupled with the question of why is it so big a thing, like a trend to wear these, when they cause nail fungus, and essentially could tear you entire nailbed right out if it got caught on clothing, a door knob, or too long and you scratched yourself. I am not thrilled with the look of something that I can't control let alone understand why I need these. (((NO offense to anyone with them, please know they look awesome and feminine. I just opt out. ))))

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 7:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I dont always wear fake nails, when I do, I do it for a specail thing. I wear them because I have very weak nails & to top it off Im a nail biter, so If Ive got somewhere nice to be, I'll get them done...... or a treat...

Normally I just leave my nails alone..... or paint them in a funky color though.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I get my nails done on special occasions if my nails are short at the moment. Otherwise my nails grow really well and I just do them at home.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I've been lucky to have nice nails that grow so I have never felt that I've had to get fake nails. I've also gotten so good at painting and doing my own nails that a lot of the time people think that they are fake;) It's an upkeep but I like to have nicely trimmed and painted nails and I'm lucky they are my real nails. Some women have nails that chip, peel, or break so I'm sure that is some of the reasons they get their nails done, that and it makes them feel pretty!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I keep mine, done, and I have healthy nails, and I always keep up with my feet too! I am pregnant with my 5th child, and am a SAHM and it is a relaxing thing for me to do that improves my image, and relaxes me with that alone time it takes to get them done!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't get my nails done for 2 reasons: 1. we don't have the extra money and 2. to many of my friends have gotten fungus under the fake nails and totally ruining there real nails.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I do my own acrylic nails. MY nails are not fake, I just put acrylic over the top of them for strength and so I don't have to paint them every other day (I do a french manicure mostly). If I don't have acrylics on IT DRIVES ME BONKERS!!!!!! My nails break really easily and shred and it drives me nuts. It's pretty rare to get a fungus infection I think. You just have to do it right.

Besides, my sweetheart loves for me to scratch his back ;)
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 7:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have a few friends who can not stop biting their nails, fake nails help, and they look cute!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I used to get them done regularly--over 10 years of bi-weekly appointments! :o) And it's really to give you a polished, professional look! Some high profile jobs actually require it! The other image that someone wants to portray if they do not have a high profile professional job is that they DON'T lift a finger, do dirty work, and are "princess-like!" As in "do you really think these hands do manual labor?!" LOL :o)

Since having kids and having to do many dirty jobs, I only get them done for special occasions--weddings, interviews, parties, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I grow my own nails.  They do take a lot of time and maintenance and I've been doing it for 25 years.  It is worth the effort IMO because nails don't get fat, don't turn grey and don't wrinkle or sag.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't get them done regularly. But I will on special occasions. So like about once a year or so.
    And I like them for one reason, I personally think they look nice.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010