My doctor has prescribed me vicodin throughout my pregnancy. Please, nobody judge. Has anyone else taken anything like this? They reassure it's ok, but it seems off to me.

I have Crohn's Disease and Fibromyalgia. My doctor has prescribed me vicodin and tylenol 3 throughout my pregnancy. I'm 18 weeks pregnant as of 9/22/2010. D0es anybody else know anything about this or took this during their pregnancy? Or is anybody a nurse or doctor that can reassure me otherwise?

britthoch2010

Asked by britthoch2010 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Those are the two things my doctor prescribed me during 3 of my pregnancies for my migraines.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have fibro as well, and the doctors told me to take tylenol but they said if that didn't work they would give me the same thing they gave you. I don't usually ever take anything, I'm more of a deal with the pain kind of lady, but when it gets bad I take an extra strength and it makes it bearable... From what I understand though, vicodin is safer than some OTC meds, but I would try to take as little as you possibly can. I did take Percosetes (spelling) and Rx Motrin while nursing... Again, it's not the best thing to do, but if it means you can function, it's better than not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's what my Dr gave me for my severe arthritis. I was 6 months pregnant though and all the weight was adding to much pressure and stress to my ankle. Fast forward 3 years, I now need to have my ankle fused..
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 7:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If yor Dr. said take it I'm sure he knows what he's doing, thas why your paying him. Check under WEBMD.COM also.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I am 31 weeks pregnant and this is my 5th pregnancy. I have fibromyalgia, IBS, and RLS. I have never taken any medicines for my syndromes during pregnancy. Fibromyalgia is known to go into remission during pregnancy.

I also have a friend who is 36 weeks pregnant and has RA and IBS. She also does not medicate during pregnancy.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think there are a lot worse things you can take during pregnancy. The thing I would worry about is the baby coming out dependent on vicodin. If you are really worried about it, get a second drs opinion and/or stop taking the pills. Sometimes a mother's instinct knows best.
    SarahFire82

Answer by SarahFire82 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have had friends who have taken both of those during pregnancy and have not had any issues or side effects.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Check out this website it has info about side effects of taking certain meds while pregnant. www.safefetus.com
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010