Is an envioronmentally friendly life a part of your faith?

And if so, how "extreme" do you go with it and what do you do?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not necessarily a part of my "faith", but just something that is important to me in general. I just try to do my part, not littering, recycling, biodegradable products, not wasting water/electricity. Every little bit counts!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We are caretakers of the earth. Does that mean we have to be 100% green, recycle everything, compost, ride our bikes everywhere and have no carbon footprint? No. But we do need to act responsible. Recycle what you can, reuse and reduce your consumption. The earth is a place for us to live, so it is alright to live. but we do need to take better care of it.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 8:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I believe in being a good steward of the resources God has provided, however, He gave us the earth, trees, animals etc. to use & eat, not to worship & not to place more importance on over ourselves. Too many people have gone way overboard & to the extreme of conserving the earth & animals to the detriment of humans.

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• "to the detriment of humans."

LOL really?!! Hmmm, how many species are now extinct because us humans wiped out their environment? Are Humans endangered in ANY way? Who has the ability to steamroll over any and all animals if they wanted too?
    We need MORE respect for this planet we live on and the animals we share it with....not less.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It should be and its important but Im not extreme but at the same time I could do better as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It is a big part part of my "faith". I try very hard to be environmentally friendly. We do the typical recycling and reusing. We buy from thrift stores a lot, Use non plastic bags for groceries as much as we can. (when we do large shopping, it's not always easy.) We don't litter, and pick up litter we see on the ground. We use environmentally friendly grooming and cleaning supplies as well.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I believe that taking care of the environment is a way of showing respect to God, since I believe that He gave the earth to us as a gift. I do my best, but there is always room for improvement. I use cloth diapers and cloth baby wipes most of the time. We recycle almost everything and avoid buying styrofoam. I go around turning off lights. I try to remember my cloth grocery bags. When I forget and use plastic, a few get used a trash can liners but most actually get recycled. I do tend to leave my computer on because it takes forever to come up (it does have a sleep mode).

I wouldn't say that all of this is a part of my faith. It's more like showing gratitude and respect to someone I love for the way He takes care of me.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• yeah. im greener now than i use to be
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes it is. I try to be environmentally conscious, I am a vegetarian. I don't do as much as I would like, but I am doing more and more over time.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 3:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't consider it part of my faith. However, I do believe since God created the world that we should do our best to take care of it. We live in a Country that is very environmentally friendly (at least in this area) so we are required to recycle everything. I separate my paper, plastic, glasses, cans, compost (food goes to pigs, other compost goes to the compost pile). Most Germans in this area don't own a dryer because the electricity is so expensive so we try to hang our clothes on the line as much as possible. We use energy efficient light bulbs and try to conserve water. We also get our water from a fresh spring in our local village using our recycled bottles. All that being said, I don't' believe that this earth will be destroyed by wasteful habits by humans. I believe it will ultimately be destroyed by God in His timing (2 Peter 3:7)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 5:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010