feeding in damand

My son is 5 weeks old and i had him on a schedule of feeding him every 2-3 hours for the first 2-3 weeks. Now for the last 2 or so weeks i cant seem to keep him on the schedule. He will eat every 3 hours, but he also wants to snack in between. The snacking is for only like 5-10 min, and his feeding arent 30 min anymore either there getting shorter to. They are like 15 min, i'm lucky if i get a 30 min feeding in. Am i doing something wrong or is it ok to feed on damand? Cause my husband thinks that his son always has a boob in his mouth.

kristi041281

Asked by kristi041281 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'VE FED BOTH MY GIRLS ON DEMEND. tHEY KNOW WHEN THEY ARE HUNGRY.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 1:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Feeding on demand is the best way to feed a baby. Especially a breastfed one. Never look at the clock!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I must be anon, so as to not get nasty messages. I BF all 5 of my kids on a 2.5 to 3 hour schedule from the beginning. I was flexible for that half hour, that's it. I BF for over a year for each of them, so it did not affect milk supply. Every cry does not indicate hunger. Babies cry, some more than others. If they happen to have gas, feeding more will make it worse. Good luck, mama.
    Anonymous

• He might be going through a growth spurt. If that's the case, then he should be willing to go back to a schedule in another week or two when he's not so hungry all the time.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I fed on demand also, (for the first 4 months before I went back to work.) Some weeks he kept to a 3 hour schedule, but others he was a permanent attatchment. You just have to do what works for you and your situation. Some babies work with a schedule, some don't. There's no right or wrong way...as long as you're feeding them :)
    haydensmom502

Answer by haydensmom502 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• He's only 5 weeks old he should not be on a feeding schedule. It is very important for your supply and best for baby to feed on demand. He's only 5 weeks old he doesn't understand why he has to wait to eat, he only knows he's hungry.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 3:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• He might be hungry or maybe he might just want to suck on somthing. However, I think feeding on demand is the best way to go. A baby knows when it's hungry. My daughter did the same thing and it drove me crazy! It was a growth spurt. It passes. You will be okay.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Feed him when he is hungry. You will know if his tummy is empty and he really needs to nurse or if it is something else. They change nursing habits when they have growth spurts. Also breastfed babies ask to nurse sometimes just because they want the comfort of mama. Tell your husband not to worry. There is nothing wrong with his snack times. He is only a newborn still. There is plenty of time to teach him to eat on a schedule when he gets old enough to understand that. Good luck.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 6:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Feeding on demand is important, especially in the first few months, because this is how your baby "tells" your body to make more milk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Thank you everyone for your help, i didnt mind feeding him on demand. I actually liked the special time with him. I was just starting to worry a little cause my husband always was concerned that he was always eating. Personally i think he was just jealous..lol But i kinda figured he would eventually put himself on a schedule after he gets a little older. Because it seemed like his schedule was changing due to growth spurts. So thank you everyone again for easing my mind.
    kristi041281

Answer by kristi041281 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2008