what to look for in freezers?

i would like to make food and then freeze it to eat later in the week, but my freezer is the type that is on top of my fridge and doesn't hold much. so i was thinking of getting another freezer, but i don't know what to look for. like how much space will i need, what type is better upright or chest and many more.

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 7:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I absolutely love my stand up freezer. If you are going to invest in one I would highly recommend getting a stand up/ up right one.
    When you open the door you can see what you have in it. It is much easier to keep organized. You will be very happy with it and you won't regret it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have a chest freezer. I would prefer a stand up freezer. I dislike having to bend over, leaning on the side to try to reach the items on the bottom. It is harder to rotate items and too see what I have. My mom has an upright freezer and loves it. My hubby wanted the chest freezer because it's more economical to run, but he's not the one trying to get things out of it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We have large horizontal ice chest/freezer that we have set up in the furnace room of our basement, that holds TONS of stuff--we're big on buying and preparing foods in bulk, and growing our own veggies--which we separate a vacuum seal for up to a year! make sure you have the proper outlet wattage 220 volts, that the chest locks to keep little ones out, and is FROST FREE--trust me, you don't want to have to remove and thaw a freezer! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010