How have you treated a one month olds constipation?

Would a little Pedyalite work? I have a Doc. appointment for him tomorrow but his poop is so hard for him to get out... help please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him a little extra water if he is formula fed. Talk to the doctor before you do any suppositories or home remedies.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Apple Juice and water
    or a suppository if he's just not able to get it out...

My son had the same issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• At one month, you cannot give apple juice. And don't let anyone tell you Karo. It's a botulism risk.

If you're formula feeding you likely need to change formulas.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• glycerin suppository, half of a pediatric one.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You may need to change formula. Fyi breastmilk has a built in laxative affect
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I am exclusively breastfeeding and my daughter got to the point where it was obviously painful for her to booboo..so my pediatrcian recommended getting "pediactric" suppositories and cutting it in half. after the first one i gave her she filled up 4 diapers! poor baby :( i have been giving her watered dwn apple juice for the past 2 weeks now and she is regular!
    brailees_mammy

Answer by brailees_mammy at 10:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's better to have hard poop than to damage the digestve system or harm the baby by giving anything other than formula. Obviously you aren't breastfeeding because breastfed babies don't get constipated. It's not too late to breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Probiotic mixed into the formula, if it's a formula-fed baby. Safer and more effective than OTC treatments. My son had a tough time pooping regardless of formula changes, and probiotics are what saved his little butt - 1 a day, divided between 3 bottles, with our doctor's blessing. If we missed a day or even just 1/3, we could tell the next day. He had his daily probiotic mixed into his formula til he stopped drinking it at about 14 months. Still takes it (probiotic) as needed, as we all do.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ok for those of you who are talking badly about me not (referencing or implying that i am a bad mother cause I don't)about me not breast feeding.... I am on medication that prohibits me from breast feeding thank you very much and I would much rather take the medication even though I hate medication. It is better to be safe then sorry. Sorry if I offend you by not breast feeding right now but I am not going to risk my child's safety and or mine by not taking the medication.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Try a little water. About an ounce of room temp to slightly warm water might do the trick. I would wait until the doctor appt before trying anything else with your baby being so young.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010