Anyone else's prek child act out at home after starting prek? My son Duncan has been very rude, mouthy and mean..I mean he always had his moments with things like that but it's gotten bad. The moment we pick him up, we're all in a grumpy mood because of his behavior...I was so looking forward to him going but this development really sucks..it's kind of hard to look forward to coming home when he comes home like this. :(

DuncansMommy

Asked by DuncansMommy at 7:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• BUMP CANT HELP sorry my babies are well behaved I lucked out (not saying you are not a good mother by any means please dont take it that way)
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'm sure he's just going through a transitional period- everything at school is new to him and it will take some time to adjust. Kinda like starting a job, it's different and even if you enjoy it, you still neded to get used to the changes.....Tell him what your expectations are of him (behavior, attitude) and just give it a little time- good luck
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It used to be parents wouldn't start their boys in K until they were 6 because they realized they weren't ready for group experiences. Developmentally kids may not be ready for group learning experiences until they are 7 or older. If you check many state laws don't require a child to go to school until they are 7. That's were that age came from. Another big change is at age 12. That's why kids go to a different kind of school then. Some edcuational psychology experts think kids shouldn't start school until age 12.

When kids are in group situations when they are too young they act up after. If you are going to put them in that situation you need to understand that is the consequence and it's not his fault. You need to learn to go with his flow. He will also learn bad habits from other kids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Speak to the teacher and ask her opinion. Does he follow the class rules? Does he act out in school? Is someone bothering him? Is he eating his snack?
    He's probably exhausted and holding in his crankiness until he gets out of school. This is completely normal. Try to give him what he needs for a few weeks --- extra cuddle time, snacks right after school, longer naps, let him know that starting school is difficult but that he will get used to it.
    Before you know it, he'll be his normal self again.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Thanks so much everyone. I think part of it may be that he doesn't nap the way he used to so he gets cranky when he gets home and maybe learning some things from other kids. He hasn't had a lot of socialization with a lot of kids, mostly his cousins. I talk to him everyday about the things he does in school but sometimes he just isn't too informative. I've been thinking about bringing it up with his teacher, especially if it continues or gets worse. I don't blame him, I know he is a small child and that new things can bring on changes, I am just hoping that is why and not something bad, like another kid hurting him. There was one day after school, we were holding hands and walking to the car when he starting squeezing my hand and tried to hurt me and gave me a look that had me concerened that maybe a kid in his class had done that to him.. He did mention on his first day that some kid got in trouble for pinching.
    DuncansMommy

Comment by DuncansMommy (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Make sure he knows he can tell you anything at any time.
    My sons never told me very much detail about their day, so I learned to ask the right questions. If I said Who did you sit next to for snack? that opened up the floodgates of what went on at school.