Do you believe God created the universe? What do you think of Stephen Hawking's theory?

God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love Stephen Hawking.

He knows more about the universe than anyone else on the planet. Regardless of whether or not you agree with his theories, the information he has to share is certainly amazing.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I believe in creator guided creation and evolution... I see the science and how it adds up, but I don't believe it could just happen without a helping hand from the Gods.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Here's the thing...Whatever science says, you can ask " But what caused THAT?". Eventually you will get to a point that is not explainable by science and can only be begun from sort of divine intervention.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think the guy is brilliant. I find the science of the big bang and string theory absolutely fascinating. In the end it is all about energy, which is what we are all made of, its the common denominator regardless of our beliefs.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Here's the thing... Regardless of whether or not we are talking science or "creation" there are always going to be unanswered questions. No one of us was there when it happened, which means we can't possibly have all the answers... All the WHYs, or the HOWs... We simply can't. Regardless of what an individual believes it's all theory... For me, I don't think science and religion need to be mutually exclusive of one another, they can and do work hand in hand... I think to ignore either, in place of the other leaves to many holes in any theory...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• So Crissy what's your take on those of us who simply see God as an illogical possibilty? Go back to PC&E.
    Hawkings is absolutely right, though one would need to have a basic understanding of astro and quantum physics to understand him. Seeing as most people have issues recalling the theory of evolution correctly it's clear to see that physics is beyond their comprehension.
    Think "MYTHBUSTERS" , exploding water heaters and placing it in space. Build up pressure and heat of matter in a single location and eventually it will explode, giving us the Big Bang in the simplest of forms.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• This is where the infinitive argument comes from...where do you get the pressure? where did you get the heat?

Start with the implosion of a star which is a star falling back into itself. As the matter from the star implodes it exerts a greater gravitational pull which sucks in passing asteroids etc. These are destroyed in the vortex of the implosion and join the rest of the matter, which continues to build. The more matter that accumulates the more pressure, the more pressure in a confined space the more heat eventually forming a black hole.
    WOW that wasn't hard at all.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Crissy, i thought Kristi kinda explained it pretty succinctly. where, exactly, are you confused? Do you understand what 'implode' means? "what causes the star to implode?" uhhh..... the laws of physics, maybe?
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 3:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I love Hawkings so much that if he were right here next to me, I'd hump his leg.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• What sahmamax2 said. Hawking is reknown as the most brilliant mind in the known world. His knowlege of the cosmos is unparalleled. Some in the scientific world have called him more intelligent than Einstein. It's quite true that fate dealt him a severe handicap, but I think that the fact that he only had his mind to work with has been a boon to him. As a consequence, it works 10 times better than our brains. It's presumptious to assume that we know more than he does. I love that he obviously has a sense of humor. He has had "cameos" in Star Trek the Next Generation and many times on The Simpsons television shows.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010