• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone had a teenager who was arrested for using a fake id?

my teenage daughter was arrested the other day for using a fake id. she has a court date in september. any advice?

lindam815

Asked by lindam815 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• You can feel terrible all you want, but know that THIS ISN'T YOUR FAULT. YOU DID NOT PUT THE ID INTO HER HANDS! You did not make the decisions FOR HER! She did this all on her own and she's got to deal with the fall out from her STUPID decision.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Let her take whatever punishment she receives. Don't try and get her out of it.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Be there with her, but make her do all the talking. If she gets hit hard the first time chances are better there won't be a second. My son didn't learn that quickly enough.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I hear what you're saying and I will. She is hiring a lawyer and I will support her as best I can. I just feel like such a failure as she is suddenly making really bad decisions and she is normally pretty level headed.
    lindam815

Comment by lindam815 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If she is convicted, this will be on her record forever and could affect student loans, job offers, etc.
    lindam815

Comment by lindam815 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How old is she?

Well, if it does that is her screw up. Not yours. Your job is to be the parent and her job is to grow up and learn for herself. She needs to learn the hard way.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• shes 19. i know its her screw up but i feel terrible anyway
    lindam815

Comment by lindam815 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Hopefully going to court will be a wake up call for her. I'm sure you have said everything that needs to be said and now she need to hear from an authoritative adult. Real stupid thing to do.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2010