From Soldier to Civilian Police Officer

My husband is ETSing from the military soon (he is an Army paratrooper and an infantryman). He would like to become a police officer when he ETSes. Will his military training better qualify him for being a patrol officer? Does anybody else have a SO/DH that has went from Soldier to Police Officer? How difficult is it? What should we expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

• Expect a pay decrease. Patrol officers in my area only get around 20,000/year.
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• No one in my family has gone from a soldier to police officer, but I did have a cousin go through the police academy. He almost failed because he was out of shape. I think your husband would have an advantage there because of all the PT they do.
    I want to pass on a huge "Thank you" to you and your husband for his military service!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Hi,
    My youngest son just returned from Iraq and has moved from NC to Chicago. He joined the Marines at 27 yrs old and said the Basic Training like to have killed him. He had been through the training for Police work and worked a while at that prior to joining the Marines. That sounds to me like he shouldn't have too hard a time getting through their training course.

He, my son, is now a Staff Sgt, going for a Gunny. LOL

Good Luck anyway!

Barb/MotherBee234
    MotherBee234

Answer by MotherBee234 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I worked with a couple of guys who went from soldier to police officer. The academy (physical training) was easier for them. at first they had a little hard time with the differences between what you can and can not do on patrol in comparison to what you can and can not do as a soldier. and how the police actions are always in teh public eye and the higher degree of scrunity. but they got used to it and made really good officers. One of the them is a good friend who serve in Desert storm and has advance greatly through the ranks. I'm sure your husband will do great. and do thank him for his service.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 7:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My dh was going to but failed the writing portion of the written test they give. He could have tried again but just didn't. He would have been taking a pay cut anyway. He is a civilian guard at Ft. Knox. Employed by the Dept of the Army. They are police. They are armed with full police powers. Alot of the other posts auctually call them "police" but Ft. Knox has been slow with the job title change (because that would require a law enforcement pay increase). They work the gates going on post. They get some wierd stuff. lol If you live by an army post this may be something worth looking into. They pretty much only hire prior military. It was more money than our metro police dept. here. plus good government benefits.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2008