When does a 15 yr old boy STOP having a major attitude problem?????

My 15y son is a pain. His dad and I are divorced. His dad has a big house with a tv in everyroom. I opted not to have the house (maintenance, etc) so i got a townhouse. I work 2 jobs and go to school. I don't have the $$$ to afford luxuries like.....food LOL, i mean cable. My son is spoiled, so when he is w me, he's bored and won't help a lick around the house because "it's not my house." any suggestion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• LOL, when he's 25. All joking aside, your boy is not only dealing with horomones he is growing up in a materialistic world. He wants you to spoil him like his dad does. I do have a lot of respect for you to be working 2 jobs, going to school, and raising a 15 year old ball of horomones!
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• ATTITUDE?? UM MAYBE 40, IF YOU ARE LUCKY. MY ROOMATE HAS A 14 Y/O AND IS GOING THROUGH A SIMILAR SITUATION. HANG IN THERE!!
    AMERSTAT

Answer by AMERSTAT at 7:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• The day he turns into a 16 yr old but with an attitude! My son chilled out when he was between 17 and 18. I was a single mom and had two younger daughters. My son had to help me with them. He worked part time to supplement my income bc his father wouldn't pay child support. I over looked some of his attitude out of guilt but the big change I made (since we can't change them) was with how I responded to his attitude. I quit taking it personally. I talked to him in a calmer quieter tone and in a more adult manner than when he was a younger boy. He finally responded in kind and we managed to get along. I kept having heart to heart talks with him telling him how much I appreciated him and what all he did for me and the family as a whole. These kids are good kids. Getting through teen years is rough on them and on the family. Those hormones can be crazy! Separating themselves from being children to young men is confusing. They just want to find their place.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• tell your son he is living by your rules and your paycheck. you can not afford those luxuries so if he wants them, get off his lazy ass and get himself a job to pay for them. jmo.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• this is so typical. tell himn you are sorry he is bored but there are plenty of things to do to keep from being bored and give him a list. tell him he has no choice but to help. I refused to cook for my son once. he wanted dinner I told him it wasn't my stomach so I didn't care. he wanted clean clothes but they aren't mine so why should I care. when I put it that way he saw that he needed to help just as part of the family.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Oh hun you are so not alone! My oldest is 30 and still behaves like the 14 year old when he wants what he wants...yesterday! I especially love it when they fight over me whoo hoo! It is a material world that we seem to be in and it feels crappy when you have to work so hard only to be underminded by a ex, I am sorry. The teens of today are a new breed, it scares me too! Hang in there and parent the best way you know we will all get on the other side.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Whens his birthday? Wait... you might be able to get a workers permit at 15 depending on the state your in. Thats what he needs, a job.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• get a tape recorder record him with out him knowing and play it back to him and tell him how it makes u feel and that u still love him but he can't be disrectful
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2008