Do your preschoolers occasionally just surprise you with what they know or can do?

I was just quizzing my 2nd grader on basic math facts. She didn't practice at all this summer so was having to count on her finger (1+2, 3+2, etc). Meanwhile my 4yo is calling out the answers off the top of her head. I had no idea she knew how to add. I haven't taught her that stuff. My 7yo was ticked that her 4yo sister was doing better in math than her. Maybe it will motivate her to study harder (she has a quiz on Tuesday).

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 8:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol, yes. my son just started kindergarten and he is teaching my 2yo the letters of the alphabet but he was suprised that he knew them already. and little brother was like what? you think i'm a dummy?? lmao
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sometimes, yes. Everyone has their own strengths and challenges.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My three year old has been counting in spanish. And him and his brother both speak a little. They can both count to 17. And they use the words exhausted, occasionally, and humongous a lot. They even know the meanings. Dad gives them words of the week. They are soo smart.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• there are days that she will do things and amaze me. it amazes my mom too when she will give answer in a very smart way.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 10:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes. My daughter can count to 20 (she'd 3 1/2) and she uses a pretty large vocabulary. She also told me, just the other day, that summer was almost over and soon, the trees would go to sleep so they can wake back up in the spring. I haven't taught her that yet, she just figured it out on her own.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• "she'd" should be "she's"....thank goodness SHE'S smarter than me! o.O
    mainemusicmaker