explaning

how do i explain to my son about death i just lost my mom sept.22 09 and my son is 4 and im havin trouble explainin that she aint comin back any advice on how

Runt420

Asked by Runt420 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We have always told my son the truth about death, in a scientific manner.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• There are some good books about talking to your child about losing a loved one. Ask a librarian or at the book store.
    I think you will just have to keep explaining it to him until he stops asking. You know how kids that age will watch the same movie a million times. That is how their minds work, they need it repeated over and over before they can accept it.
    Tell him that you all miss her, and that you will always have her love and the good memories.
    I'm sure you miss her very much. I'm sorry for your loss.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i agree with going to the library and asking for a book on the matter. they are really helpful. i tell my kids that when something or someone dies they cannot live like we do anymore, but they still live in our hearts when we remember them and think about them. we are christian so i also tell them that they went up to live with jesus and that they're waiting for us to come up one day too, but of course that part would depend on your religious preference. it also helps to take them to the viewing, but idk if you did that or not. it helps for them to see the body and then they understand that the person didn't just move away or something like that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with that yet....but I agree with the others....ask a librarian, they usually know exactly which books get the most positive reaction when it comes to certain subjects. I'm sure this subject is one of the more common. Best of luck...and I'm sorry about your mom =(
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:33 AM on Sep. 6, 2010